Tracking My School Progress: Goals, Rules, and Courses

In summary: Abstract Algebra was a little better, but still not much structure or organization.In summary, the conversation revolved around the speaker's goals for the upcoming school year and their plan to use a journal to stay on track. They discussed their current math courses and their goals for the term. They also mentioned having a finance class and possibly pursuing a minor in business and physics. The speaker also shared their experience with some of their classes, particularly calculus, linear algebra, and abstract algebra, and expressed some concerns about the lack of structure and organization in certain classes. They also mentioned the possibility of transferring schools.
JasonRox
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This journal will be the journal that follows through my progress in school. I have some big goals this year, and I believe this would be a great way to stay on track.

Anyways, I have another journal going too. Check it out if you like at...

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=87472

Journal Rules

1. Write a short summary of each class attended.
2. Write a short summary of the Section or Chapter read.
3. Assign homework to myself every Monday to be completed by Friday.

Current Math Courses

1. Calculus III (Calc.)
2. Applied Abstract Algebra (Algebra)
3. Linear Algebra II (LA)
4. Introduction to Combinatorics (Comb.)

My goals are to complete the term with an average of 85% or higher. I will reach for 90% or above, but I want to keep things realistic and obtainable.

Anyways, school starts tomorrow. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Calc 3 is a really cool class imo. At least it was here, there was a bunch of 3d stuff, and multiple variables. I am taking abstract algebra right now, I am hoping just to pass it lol. Are those the only classes you are taking?

mattmns said:
Calc 3 is a really cool class imo. At least it was here, there was a bunch of 3d stuff, and multiple variables. I am taking abstract algebra right now, I am hoping just to pass it lol. Are those the only classes you are taking?

I also have a Finance class too. That's all I have. I'm also going for a minor in Business, and possibly Physics too.

Next term, if the schedule gets adjusted (classes override each other, they need to fix it), I will have...

Abstract Algebra
Abstract Linear Algebra
Basic Concepts of Analysis
Introduction to General Relativity
Business Management

So yeah, I have a fun year ahead of me. :biggrin:

Note: I transferred from a Business Program, so I don't need much for the minor.

Which year are you?

I'm in second year, excluding what I did in Business.

The only course I might not get is General Relativity because it has some pre-requisites. I will talk to the instructor and we will see. I'd say I'll be good for it.

Well, today Calculus was cancelled, which is stupid.

Linear Algebra was basically a discussion about the outline and a (very) basic review.

Abstract Algebra was the same as LA.

I hope things pick up next week.

Tomorrow, I have my first class of Combinatorics, and I'm excited for it.

Nothing much going on right now since school just started, but I'll be doing some Linear Algebra review shortly... the not so basic stuff.

Nothing really happened today in my Combinatorics class, which is disapointing. This school takes much too long to pick up on things. It needs to get re-organized.

Note: One of my goals will hopefully lead to transferring schools.

Today, I had my first Calculus III class. We are getting into the formal definition of limits, which I'm happy about. Going a little slow though.

Linear Algebra was basic review again. I'm going to attend the next class with the text, and just go on by myself.

Abstract Algebra, well I have no clue what the hell is going on. I understand the stuff he's talking about, but the class isn't structured at all. The sad part is... the text is not available yet, so I can't just go on independently.

Note: Don't ask me why I'm here.

Note: The school does have some amazing profs, and I know of one. Also, the current calculus prof seems very promising although it's a little on the slow side for me, but probably about right for everyone else. His class is structured, which I like.

Today, I had one class which was Combinatorics.

Nothing spectacular really. Just a discussion on the Principles of Induction, weak and strong.

If your Abstract Algrebra Class Is on Group, Ring and set theory; then you will be begging for the moments when nothing "spectacular" was happening...
Conclusion: Enjoy the moments of Relaxing classes.

derekmohammed said:
If your Abstract Algrebra Class Is on Group, Ring and set theory; then you will be begging for the moments when nothing "spectacular" was happening...

It's not what I meant. I meant more like... we are slowly moving along a simple concept. The Principle of Induction is great itself, but only when used with great examples.

I'll be reading ahead once the damn school gets the book in. Very sad.

derekmohammed said:

Forgot to mention...

Even though I have Abstract Algebra, it will probably be a long time before we get to anything. We might not get anywhere this term. That's just the way the school works... nice and slow. :grumpy:

Today was Abstract Algebra, Linear Algebra and Calculus III.

I thought Calculus III was going to be structured, but I think I'm wrong. This profs just talks out of who knows what. It doesn't help that he's using overheards... because I hate those.

Linear Algebra is still boring, so I'm going through a text on my own during the class. I kind of like this class for this reason. I keep up with the class, and when important notes come up I write them down. The rest of the time I'm doing my own thing. Very productive class.

Abstract Algebra is getting a little better. I just don't like the overlapping of lectures. He seems to repeat the last 15 minutes of the past lecture. I'm not a fan of this. A little reminder of what we discussed before is good enough. I see no need in re-writing every over the blackboard. He's a good prof though, and I noticed that. He just needs more structure and organization... rather than walk in and talk.

Done with my opinions. I kind of like writing them out though. I really have to decide if I should transfer. This way I can see the ups and downs as the year goes by.

Now, a very short summary of the courses.

Calculus III was mainly limits of multivariable functions and partial derivatives.

LA II was vector spaces.

Abstract Algebra was groups... Abelian and Dilhedra (spelling?).

Things are the same. Profs are still lagging. Linear Algebra remains my favourite course because I get to do my own thing without the profs objection. I can do the same in Calculus III, but it's not as comforbable. :biggrin:

Assignments have started, so I'll be working hard on those.

1. What is the purpose of tracking my school progress?

The purpose of tracking your school progress is to monitor your academic growth and performance. By setting goals, following rules, and selecting appropriate courses, you can track your progress and make necessary adjustments to achieve academic success.

2. How do I set effective goals for tracking my school progress?

Effective goals should be specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and time-bound (SMART). This means they should be clear, have measurable outcomes, be realistic, align with your larger objectives, and have a deadline for completion. It is also important to regularly review and adjust your goals as needed.

3. What rules should I follow when tracking my school progress?

Some common rules to follow when tracking your school progress include attending all classes, completing assignments on time, actively participating in class, seeking help when needed, and maintaining good communication with teachers and advisors. These rules can help you stay on track and achieve your academic goals.

4. How do I choose the right courses for tracking my school progress?

When selecting courses, consider your academic strengths and interests, as well as any requirements for your major or future career. It is also important to balance your workload and choose courses that will challenge you but not overwhelm you. Seeking guidance from teachers, advisors, and peers can also help you make informed decisions.

5. What are the benefits of tracking my school progress?

Tracking your school progress can provide various benefits, such as helping you stay motivated, identify areas for improvement, and celebrate your achievements. It can also help you develop time management and organizational skills, which are valuable for academic and future career success.