My method of studying I would like to share

In summary, the speaker shares their study strategy for tests, specifically for their upcoming qualifying exam. They first attempt to derive results from first principles, only resorting to looking at the book for hints if they get stuck. They then go back and re-read the section to check for correctness and efficiency. They also practice applying the results through problems from the book. This method helps them remember the material better and allows them to quickly derive results on the test, even without a formula sheet. However, they acknowledge that this may not work for situations where specific rules are required.
Ben Niehoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
This is what I do to study for tests (particularly for my qualifying exam which is coming up in two days):

1. Close book.

2. Attempt to derive result from first principles.

3. If you get completely stuck, look at book for hints, but don't read too much.

4. When you finally arrive at result, go back and re-read section to see if you are correct, and if you could have derived it more efficiently.

5. Pick a problem or two from the book to do to make sure you know how to apply the result.

If I were to just open a book and read all the formulas, I would never have any hope of remembering them. But trying to derive the results gets them stuck in my head, and if I happen to forget anything, I already have practice deriving them and can do it quickly on the test. (Of course, for this test, there is no formula sheet allowed.)

Physics news on Phys.org
This works fine until they say "use Specific Rule to show that..."

But, yeah, your way will improve your understanding a lot more.

I can definitely appreciate your method of studying for tests. It is clear that you have a strong understanding of the material and are actively engaging with it rather than just passively memorizing formulas. By attempting to derive the results from first principles, you are not only solidifying your knowledge but also developing problem-solving skills that will be useful in your future scientific endeavors. Additionally, your approach of going back and re-reading sections to check for accuracy and efficiency is an excellent way to reinforce your understanding and potentially identify any areas that may need more attention. By actively engaging with the material and applying it to practice problems, you are setting yourself up for success on your qualifying exam and beyond. Keep up the good work!

What is your method of studying?

My method of studying involves breaking down the material into smaller, manageable chunks and setting specific goals for each study session. I also use various techniques such as note-taking, summarizing, and self-quizzing to actively engage with the material.

How do you stay motivated while studying?

I stay motivated by setting realistic and achievable goals, rewarding myself for completing tasks, and reminding myself of the importance and relevance of the material to my goals. I also take breaks and engage in activities that help me relax and recharge.

What tips do you have for improving memory retention?

Some tips for improving memory retention include practicing retrieval of information, using mnemonic devices, and connecting new information to prior knowledge. It is also important to get enough sleep, exercise regularly, and maintain a healthy diet.

How do you handle distractions while studying?

I try to eliminate distractions by finding a quiet and comfortable study space, turning off my phone or using a productivity app to block notifications, and letting others know that I am studying. If I do get distracted, I use techniques such as mindfulness or the Pomodoro method to refocus my attention.

What advice do you have for developing good study habits?

Some advice for developing good study habits includes setting a schedule and sticking to it, finding a study method that works for you, seeking help or clarification when needed, and continuously reviewing and practicing material. It is also important to prioritize self-care and balance studying with other activities.