My First Two Weeks Away from Home: Adventures and Misadventures

• Thread starter Gagan A
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Home
In summary, the food is really bad here. The rooms are small and the PC's in the workspace are really slow. The mornings are really tough with PT at 6am. The ragging is not as bad as in other Indian institutions, but some seniors complain that they are being tortured. The incidents are few but costly. The course is great, but 25% of the courses are humanities. The weather is great and the profs are very good. The library is huge and has many books.
Gagan A
There can't be a better subject to describe it. It's been just one day less than two weeks that I left home for four years of study (or further, if I get a job here too or I study further). My mind was full of apprehensions, thoughts and strange feelings since it was the first time I was going to leave my home. But I think it was a bold decision I took since one has to some day enter the "real world".
There are many things here that are really good and some that are really bad, bad dominate over good in quantity :cry: .

Things that suck:
The food - :yuck: The food thing was a little expected since I am a North Indian going to South India. It literally sucks, you have to suck it to get it into you. Sometimes when I eat it, I feel like vomiting, but I can't stay without food. And till the last of this month or possibly further we are supposed to be washing our own plates ourselves, the worst part.
The rooms - :devil: The rooms are 10'*10'. And that room is to be shared with someone. The worst part is that for first year you are forced to share your room with someone.
The workspace - :frown: The PC's in the workspace suck. Too slow. And you have to share it with 2 other persons. The good part here is that I am the only guy in the whole workspace to have root privileges.
Mornings - :zzz: For the first sem we will have PT at 630 in the morn when a computer programmer just starts having dreams.
Ragging - :grumpy: Ragging here is not as bad as in other Indian instis. But some juniors complained that they were being tortured and so action was taken against seniors and now the seniors have boycotted us.
Incidents - :bugeye: I lost my specs just yesterday. I went to take a bath and forgot to take them back. They were really costly.
Course - :uhh: 25% of our total courses are supposed to be humanities.

Things that rock:
Weather - :cool: The weather is really pleasant here. No need of fans.
Profs - o:) Nearly all the profs are PHd's.
Labs - :approve: Labs are great (not workspaces).
Library - :!) What can I say? So many books.
Course - The course curriculum is great. It is one of the few instis of India that allows UG students to pursue research.

Basically, these guys are giving you everything that is necessary to learn but not necessary to live.

Physics news on Phys.org
Gagan A said:
Things that suck:
The food - :yuck: The food thing was a little expected since I am a North Indian going to South India. It literally sucks, you have to suck it to get it into you. Sometimes when I eat it, I feel like vomiting, but I can't stay without food. And till the last of this month or possibly further we are supposed to be washing our own plates ourselves, the worst part.
Yeah, it is so awful having Mommie make your meal and washing the dishes after you, isn't it?

To give you a hint:
This is part of growing up.

arildno said:
This is part of growing up.
I know it is, that is why I took the decision.

So, why are you complaining that Mommie doesn't make your food anymore? :confused:

As I told you, the food is really bad here. Much bad. It seems awful bad to wash plates after having such a meal. I would happily wash them if the meal was good.

Well, who's making it?
Is it possible to decline paying for the prescribed meal and use those money on food you'd rather have?

you'll get used to all the bad things and in a month tyou'll be wondering what you complained about in the first place.

We have to eat for at least 25 days in the mess in a month. We paid 6000 bucks as advance and the remaining will be deducted or added to it. There is a canteen here but it is not much hygenic. I think I must complain to someone concerned.

Gagan A said:
We have to eat for at least 25 days in the mess in a month. We paid 6000 bucks as advance and the remaining will be deducted or added to it. There is a canteen here but it is not much hygenic. I think I must complain to someone concerned.
They seriously need to change their policies.
What happens if you do not eat there more than say, 10 days a month?

You still pay for the 25 days. But it is also a little (very little) justified, since if everyone starts doing the same way, everyone would stop eating there.

So, it really is a sneak revenue for the school then, which they seek to maximize by serving the cheapest, low-quality food?

Are you sure that your school has the legal right to demand these money from you?
Perhaps you should seek some legal advice on this, perhaps organize a students' rebellion to get your money back.

This smacks of swindle and defrauding of students, in my opinion.

I am not in school. I am Under-graduate. I am going to complain, and yes, if the quality does not improve there might be a revolt.

arildno : In India, you go to school for an education, period. If you're alive at the end of it, that's a bonus.

Gagan : In other parts of the world, "school" is used as a generic term for all educational institutions, including college/university.

1. What inspired you to write about your first two weeks away from home?

I have always been an avid writer and journal-keeper, and documenting my experiences is a way for me to reflect and remember them. Additionally, I wanted to share my adventures and misadventures with others who may be going through a similar experience.

2. What were some of the most memorable moments from your first two weeks away from home?

There were many memorable moments, but some that stand out include making new friends, exploring a new city, and trying new foods. I also had some mishaps, such as getting lost and missing a bus, which made for some funny stories.

3. Did you face any challenges during your first two weeks away from home?

Yes, there were definitely challenges, such as being homesick and adjusting to a new environment. I also had to learn how to navigate public transportation and manage my own finances for the first time.

4. How did you overcome these challenges?

I found that staying in touch with friends and family back home helped with homesickness, and I also made an effort to get involved in activities and meet new people. As for the practical challenges, I asked for help from locals and did my own research to learn how to navigate the city and manage my budget.

5. What advice do you have for someone who is about to embark on their first two weeks away from home?

My advice would be to embrace the experience and try new things, but also be prepared for challenges and homesickness. Don't be afraid to ask for help and make an effort to get involved and meet new people. And most importantly, have fun and make the most out of your time away from home.