My New Telescope - Review and EP Advice

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Codester09
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescope
In summary, the conversation is about telescope recommendations and the user ultimately chose a SkyWatcher 8" Dobsonian telescope. They are happy with the scope but have questions about the included eyepieces and potential upgrades. Other users suggest lower priced options such as TeleVue Plossls and recommend careful planning when purchasing eyepieces. The original user also mentions owning a 6" refractor and being picky about optics.
Codester09
A while back, I posted here asking for telescope recommendations. After many members advised getting a dob, http://www.skywatcherusa.com/8-dobsonian-telescope-s11700.html" [Broken] is what I went with.

I love this scope. Seems very well put together and can capture some pretty amazing sights. One thing that I wanted to confirm before doing anything about it are the ep's. It comes with two plossls (10mm & 25mm). They aren't the greatest and have seen others talking about how they replaced it with things like a 30mm tak and 19mm panoptic. Those ep's are both very pricey (around $200). I just wondered how big the difference would be based on what you guys know. Thanks in advance guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nice, basic scope with respectable aperture! You can get pretty good performance out of lower priced EPs, like TeleVue Plossls. I own several of them, and they are wonderful bang-for-the-buck EPs.

If you are going to buy EPs, you should also buy a decent Barlow, and carefully plan your EP focal lengths to avoid duplication. For instance, if you bought a 40mm EP, you shouldn't buy a 20mm if you get a 2x Barlow, since you'd be duplicating the resultant magnification. You'd be better off getting a 40mm and a 30mm, so that in combination with the Barlow you'd have the equivalent of a 20mm, and a 15mm as well, with the advantage of having the nice eye-relief of the longer EPs. Short EPs usually have shorter eye-relief and can be more fatiguing to use for long sessions.

By the way, the only "exotic" EP I have is an early Nagler. The plossls perform well with my 6" refractor. My scope is a 6" Apochromatic refractor from Astro-Physics, so I'm pretty picky about optics, and the Plossls are fine.

Good luck.

1. What are the main features of this telescope?

The main features of this telescope include the type of optics used, the aperture size, the focal length, the mount type, and any additional features such as computerized tracking or built-in cameras.

2. How does this telescope perform for viewing different celestial objects?

This telescope is designed for specific types of viewing, such as planetary, lunar, or deep sky objects. Its performance will vary depending on the type of object being viewed and the conditions of the viewing location. It is recommended to research the specific capabilities of this telescope for the desired type of viewing.

3. What are the recommended eyepieces and accessories for this telescope?

The recommended eyepieces and accessories for this telescope will depend on personal preference and the specific capabilities of the telescope. It is recommended to consult with the manufacturer or do further research to determine the best options for your needs.

4. How difficult is it to set up and use this telescope?

The level of difficulty in setting up and using this telescope will depend on the specific model and your level of experience with telescopes. Some telescopes may require more assembly and calibration, while others may be more user-friendly. It is recommended to carefully read the instructions and possibly seek assistance from experienced users if needed.

5. Can this telescope be used for astrophotography?

Some telescopes may be suitable for astrophotography, while others may not have the necessary features or capabilities. It is recommended to research the specific model and its capabilities for astrophotography before attempting to use it for this purpose. In general, telescopes with larger apertures and stable mounts are better suited for astrophotography.