1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My notes are not clear Pt 2

1. Jun 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

It has been suggested that reaction time to brake a signal from standard brake ligths can be modeled with a normal distribution having a mean of 1.25 seconds and a standard deviation of .46 seconds. What is the probability that the reaction time is between 1. and 1.75. Use your calculator to find the probability.

2. Relevant equations
    P(a-μ)/σ ≤ z ≤ (b-μ)/σ

3. The attempt at a solution
    (1-1.25)/.46 ≤ z ≤ (1.75-1.25)/.46

-.5434782609 ≤ z ≤ 1.086956533

I did this part because my notes from my teacher do not tell me how to do this on the calculator. however, I tried in the Z-test section, with my input section on stats. I know where to plug the μ and the σ, but not the 1 and 1.75. x (with a line above it), and a n.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The 1 and the 1.75 are the limits of the integration - do you know the equation for a Normal distribution?

You can also work it out using the properties of the normal distribution - and known values for the unit normal - do you have access to tables? Your calculator may have such a table built in - but I don't know what kind you have.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted