1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My notes for this chapter suck, so I need help

1. Jun 22, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given the continuous probability density function f(x) = (x-2)/18 2 ≤ x ≤ 8, find P(6<x≤8)?

2. Relevant equations

For a continuous random variable, if you have a pdf f(x) on the interval a to b,

P(c≤x≤d)=∫dcf(x)dx
    E(X)=μ=∫baxf(x)dx
    Var(X)=∫ba(x−μ)2f(x)dx

For this problem, you are given with pdf f(x) and the interval is given. So you need to evaluate the integral.

3. The attempt at a solution

∫baf(x)dx= ∫8,2((x-2)/18))... I honestly lose it from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

##f(x)=\frac{x-2}{18}: 2\leq x \leq 8##

You have to evaluate: $$p(6<x\leq 8)=\int_6^8 \frac{x-2}{18}\; dx$$ ... you had the wrong lower limit.
    Show me your best attempt from there.

4. Jun 23, 2014 #3

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, your notes are a mess. Let's see if we can straighten things out.

For this problem, the expectation E(x) and the Variance Var (x) are not required.

You are given a certain probability density function (pdf) and asked to find the probability that x will lie between 6 and 8.

The cumulative density function (cdf) is the integral of the pdf from -∞ to +∞ and by definition:

[itex]\int^{∞}_{-∞}[/itex][pdf (x)] dx = 1

This is not a difficult integral to evaluate since your pdf = 0 except between x = 2 and x = 8.
    You should check your pdf to make sure that the relation above is satisfied.

Since the area of the pdf over the entire range of x is 1, this means that all possible outcomes of whatever the pdf represents have occurred. If you want to find the probability of occurrence of whatever is represented by the pdf on a certain interval of x, you would take the integral of the pdf between the limits of that interval.

5. Jun 23, 2014 #4
    okay then. From P(6<x≤8)

∫ f(x) dx = ((x²/2) -2x)/18

at x = 6 : ((6²/2) -2*6)/18= (18 -12)/18 = 1/3

at x = 8 : ((8²/2 -2*8)) = ((32 -16))/18 = 16/18 = 8/9

: 1/3 < P(6<x≤8) ≤ 8/9

6. Jun 23, 2014 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

7. Jun 23, 2014 #6
    Not as well I thought I did, or at least not how it pertains to continuous proability density. First, I am really perplexed why I am given 2 ≤ x ≤ 8 --or is this just another way of saying [2, 8]? Also, how do you evaluate P(6 <x ≤8)? I have only done int he past when the question employs both ≤ and , as in P(6 ≤x ≤8).

For example, here is a previous question I did:

Is f(x) 2/(x^2) on [1,2] a probability density function? Why or why not? If it is, find P[1.5 ≤ x ≤ 2]

∫ba f(x)dx = 2,1 2/(x^2) dx = [-2/x] 2, 1 = -1+2=1

So yes because it is postive.

∫1,5,2 (-2/x) = 1/3

8. Jun 23, 2014 #7
    So it it just (8/9) - (1/3)

9. Jun 23, 2014 #8

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Exactly the same as it does to anything.

That just means that f(x) is defined on that interval.
    What is ##p(2\leq x\leq 8)## - evaluate it.

Yes. ##x\in (2,8]## is the same as saying ##2<x\leq 8##

The probability is the area under f(x) inside the range. The difference in area inside a<x<b and inside a<x≤b is zero. Sketch it out for a bunch of arbitrary functions and see.

There you go.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted