1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My old question on Optic

1. Feb 8, 2009 #1
    Well, this is the question from the end term exam of the Optic 1 year 1 ago that I got from the senior, we (me and my friends) get confused. I try to slove this problem by Geometry Optic but the final equation cant slove (if sloved it will be loooooong to slove on the short time). I think abount using Fremat's Principle, but I can't detect the way to mash it.

so :
    The CALCITE block with the Optic Axis parallel with the surface,the thickness is H
    (ordinary index N and extraordi index Ne
    A beam of light trikes the surface at an angel of incidence of Alpha from the vertical., the plane which keep the beam perpendicular with the OA.
    2 Out beams,the ordinary beam and the extraordinary beam, parallel with the distant L !

>>Find Alpha

Fig: http://img178.imageshack.us/my.php?image=opticko7.jpg"

Yep, that all !

Hmmm.. This is my 1st post, I hope I didnt post a homework (yeah this is not homework).
    And my English is bad T.T

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2009 #2

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Welcome to PF :smile:

Are you familiar with Snell's Law? I think that will be useful here.

4. Feb 9, 2009 #3
    Ya ! I used the Snell's law in Geometry Methol, but I think using the wave mothol in sloving,
    If you use the Sneel's law you 'll got the unsloveable quation T.T

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook