Opinions on Post Deletion: Are Moderators Too Strict?

• Thread starter Paulo1913
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the strictness of post deletion on a science forum and the importance of being specific in questions. The speaker suggests doing research before asking general questions and emphasizes the need for pointed inquiries to receive better responses.
Paulo1913
I think the people that delete the posts are a bit harsh...

Physics news on Phys.org
My opinion.

There is a reason why this forum is one, if not the, most productive science communities on the internet with members who range from students to experts in their field. This forum must be doing something right.

I agree in that aspect but I did'nt get a warning in my aspect...

Paul,
I just deleted another of your posts.

They are simply to general to answer. You need to get specific. If you do not have a specific question, then do some searchs (Google, wiki, these forums) on your general topic. (ie waves) If you want a web page on waves then do some searching. Once you have found the general information, learn what you can, come back here with some pointed questions. The more specific your question the better answers you will get.

ok I'm sorry I need to get the hang of this...

If you have a question like "what is <blah>?" or "does <blah1> do <blah2>?", first try entering the same question into Google. It is impolite to ask questions that can very easily be looked up.

1. What is the purpose of post deletion and moderation on online platforms?

The purpose of post deletion and moderation is to ensure that the content shared on online platforms is appropriate, respectful, and follows the community guidelines. It also helps to maintain a safe and inclusive environment for all users.

2. Are moderators too strict when it comes to deleting posts?

This is a subjective question and can vary depending on the individual's perspective. However, moderators have a responsibility to uphold the community guidelines and ensure that the platform remains a safe space for all users. Sometimes, posts may be deleted to prevent the spread of misinformation or to maintain a respectful discourse.

3. How do moderators determine which posts to delete?

Moderators typically use a set of community guidelines or terms of service to determine which posts should be deleted. These guidelines often include rules against hate speech, harassment, and spam. Moderators may also take into account the context and intent of the post before making a decision.

4. Can users appeal the deletion of their post?

In most cases, users can appeal the deletion of their post by contacting the moderators or the platform's customer support team. They may be asked to provide more information or clarify the intent of their post. However, if the post violates the community guidelines, it is unlikely that it will be reinstated.

5. Is there a better alternative to post deletion and moderation?

Post deletion and moderation are necessary to maintain a safe and respectful online community. However, platforms can also implement features such as content warnings, filters, and reporting systems to minimize the need for post deletion and allow for more user control. Ultimately, a combination of moderation and user empowerment is the most effective approach.