Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My Passport just got Rejected

1. Mar 17, 2008 #1
    A week ago someone broke into my car and took all my stuff, including my license.

So tonight, having not received a new one yet, I've gone off to the bars on St. Patrick's day only to be REJECTED AT THE DOOR AFTER PRESENTING A UNITED STATES PASSPORT!!!!

I mean holy crap!?!?? That little thing is good enough to get me ACROSS THE BORDER into the country, but apparently its not good enough to get me into a bar.

The people there claimed that since the passport doesn't have WRITTEN DOWN your weight and your eye color, its not as good as a drivers license, and I had to be 25 to use it (????)

Seems to me like they are inventing some absurd laws.. just had to vent.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2008 #2
    Wtf weird. We always accepted passports at the grocery store I worked at...

4. Mar 17, 2008 #3
    This is what happens when you lower your standards for your country's educational system. You get people who completely freak out and get brain farts when they are presented with something they didn't have dissected and spoon fed.

Anyway, I'm sorry that you had to spend yet another evening sober.

5. Mar 17, 2008 #4

Mk

He was at, a bar.

6. Mar 17, 2008 #5
    See? You can't even use proper grammar.

7. Mar 17, 2008 #6

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

heewuzattabarrrr! (hic)

8. Mar 18, 2008 #7

Danger

Gold Member

If it was a bouncer or server who rejected you, you should have asked to speak to the manager. A passport or a pilot's license is considered legal identification in all NATO countries; I'm not sure about others.

9. Mar 18, 2008 #8
    I think we should pass a law stating that all bouncers at bars need to have a degree in philosophy.

Bonus points if the pain don't hurt them.

10. Mar 18, 2008 #9

Danger

Gold Member

That might be a bit extreme, but they should at least be able to read.

11. Mar 18, 2008 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I thought the passport did have eye color on it, but I'd have to look now. Anyway, what good is having your weight written down? Who ever changes the weight on their drivers' license when renewing? Most people probably have the weight they were when they got their first license at 17 still on it. I didn't know there was a weight requirement for getting into a bar anyway.

Anyway, yeah, a passport is a legal form of ID for proof of age, and should be BETTER than a drivers' license. You should have just gone to a different bar.

12. Mar 18, 2008 #11
    Driving licenses in the UK don't have information about the physical attributes of the person on them, it's quite odd for me to think that they would! You learn something new everyday, specially on this forum! ;)

13. Mar 18, 2008 #12

dst

That would take jobs away from the fried goods sector!

14. Mar 18, 2008 #13
    Didn't get the reference, huh? :frown:

15. Mar 18, 2008 #14

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It made sense when drivers' licenses didn't have photos on them, but now that they all have photos, the added description really is unnecessary (except maybe height). It's silly to list things like hair color and weight though, because both of those can so easily change.

16. Mar 18, 2008 #15

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You'd think the photo would suffice...

17. Mar 18, 2008 #16

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The photo is so tiny, I don't think you can make out eye color. But, not sure that knowing eye color would be of much help if you were already having trouble matching a photo to a face.

18. Mar 18, 2008 #17
    lol glad to see this resonated with some people - yeah I'm still pretty angry about the ridiculousness of it all, as for the picture, its probably several times the size of the picture on the license, and I just want to emphasize this next point:

The guy at the door specifically told me that I actually COULD use a passport to get in - but only if I was at least 25 years old (I'm 21).

What!??!?!?!!!

There was a gaggle of cops standing a few feet away (the bar was downtown) so I walked over and asked them about it, but they said they couldn't do anything since it was a private establishment, and they weren't discriminating on the basis of race/gender/religion etc. Not that I expected them to go busting down the door - but I mean how much more legitimate of an ID can you get besides a US passport... its a proof of citizenship for goodness sake.

19. Mar 18, 2008 #18

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Bars and clubs have a right to refuse entry to anyone, regardless of age. Perhaps the door staff just didn't want you in their bar, and made up some excuse rather than saying "you're not the sort of person we want in here." Alternatively, perhaps the manager told the door staff that he only wanted over 25 year olds into his bar that night. Either way, complaining to the manager will do no good, since he'll make up some valid reason, like "it was a night when younger people drink a lot more than usual, and so to prevent trouble we changed our entry policy."

Anyway, why are you so mad: you should go to a bar that actually wants your custom... you didn't just go home after that happened, did you?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2008
  20. Mar 18, 2008 #19

Danger

Gold Member

I guess not. Sorry, dude; I thought that you were engaging in hyperbolic irony, such as suggesting that your dog should be able to drive you to work. My response was intended to augment that.

21. Mar 19, 2008 #20
    Your dog has a driver's license? Can he use it to get into a bar?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?