My Study Plan for Physics: 17 Years Old from South Africa

In summary: Hi all,I'm a 17 year old student from South Africa and I have a few questions about how/where to study physics. I also really like computers and how they work and I also love programming.First of all my long term goal is to eventually get my phd in physics. I want to go study my bsc physics at the university of pretoria and get my honors as well. After that I want to study further and somewhere along the line I want to specialize in quantum mechanics. That's assuming that they allow you to specialize. My goal is to one day do research in quantum mechanics and somehow apply that to quantum computers, because that's the only place I saw an
BlindSniper
Hi all,
I'm a 17 year old student from South Africa and I have a few questions about how/where to study physics. I also really like computers and how they work and I also love programming.

First of all my long term goal is to eventually get my phd in physics.

I want to go study my bsc physics at the university of pretoria and get my honors as well. After that I want to study further and somewhere along the line I want to specialize in quantum mechanics. That's assuming that they allow you to specialize.

My goal is to one day do research in quantum mechanics and somehow apply that to quantum computers, because that's the only place I saw an intersection between physics and computer science, but it would mostly be physics. I don't know who would hire someone in that field, maybe Intel or AMD. But I would also not mind working at a university.

Is this a plausible plan for studying and career ? I don't really care about making lots of money, I just want to do physics and learn new stuff and maybe even discover something new.

EDIT: just a small side question, are there any books you would recommend for someone going to do bsc Physics ?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I also thought I could become a professor. My parents don't really like the idea but screw them. It's my life.

don't say 'screw them'...
If you use knowledge and strategy, you might become a good professor.
You can earn lots of money (like $400,000 per year for the person I perceive as the world's top mathematician.
Note that if you are extraordinary you earn much more than ordinary professors.
I am confident that a person can become extraordinary using knowledge and strategy.
http://calnewport.com/blog/

Screw them might be harsh but they tell me to do what I love no matter what and when I tell them what I want to do they don't approve. It's just that hypocrisy that is a bit annoying, but In the meantime it seems that they have accepted that I want to study physics.

1. How did you develop your study plan for physics at 17 years old?

My study plan for physics was developed through a combination of researching effective study techniques, seeking advice from teachers and peers, and personal trial and error. I also considered my strengths and weaknesses in the subject, as well as my long-term academic and career goals.

2. What resources do you use to study physics?

I use a variety of resources to study physics, including textbooks, online resources, practice problems, and study groups. I also utilize resources provided by my school, such as lectures, labs, and tutoring sessions.

3. How do you balance studying for physics with other subjects and activities?

I prioritize my time and make a schedule that allows me to balance studying for physics with my other subjects and activities. I also make sure to take breaks and maintain a healthy work-life balance.

4. What strategies do you use to overcome difficult concepts in physics?

When I encounter difficult concepts in physics, I break them down into smaller parts and try to understand the underlying principles. I also seek help from teachers and peers, and use various resources such as videos and practice problems to reinforce my understanding.

5. How do you stay motivated to study physics?

I stay motivated to study physics by reminding myself of my long-term goals and the importance of the subject in achieving them. I also find ways to make the material interesting and engaging, such as relating it to real-life applications or participating in physics-related activities and competitions.