Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My problem with life

1. Feb 20, 2004 #1
    suppose all you see and feel continuosly 'try' to tell you who you are and how you will die,or how your world will end;but in your mind you still try to convince yourself that theres an entity of free will,and you can do something about it?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 28, 2004 #2
    You can respond the way most commonly done by blinding yourself to the world around you. Or you can take the road less traveled and find your own path.

4. Mar 1, 2004 #3
    Well, I may just be weird, but, before I accepted a set of beliefs that require free will to exist, I actually took comfort in the fact that it cannot be known whether one has free will or not, since there really is (subjectively) no difference.

Of course, I understand the quandry of trying to change the circumstance that seems completely inevitable, but again I take comfort in the fact that there may be nothing I can do about the circumstance, I may even be predestined to try and fail...this was comforting to me because then those who believe in free will can say "at least he tried" and those who don't can say what they always say "he did what he was predestined to do".

5. May 30, 2004 #4
    Some argue there are two kinds of freedom, freedom from and freedom to. Freedom from oppression and whatnot, freedom to pursue happiness and whatnot. Whatever the case, freedom is by definition free, free will is by definition free, that is, unconstrained. For it to be unconstrained it must be spontaneous rather than formulaic. It's origins within the heart as much as the mind.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?