My problem with today's physics

42.85---One of the 'rules' of this forum is that "you can't 'post' your theory" (or something close to that), but that shouldn't stop you if you want to on some other forum, or submit it to be published, or publish it yourself.

and, I agree with Cyrus, and his wording about "agree with existing results" or data...

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I have a theory of everything ... How can I get someone to seriously listen to me,
You can start by reading the PF Rules, especially those on Overly Speculative Posts, and you should stop hijacking other people's threads.

check out David Bohm's recorded conversations (I forget the name) w/ Jiddu Krishnamurti. Then read up David Bohm's 'On Dialogue' and my favorite, 'On Creativity'.

Have fun!

:)

OP, It seems as if you've dropped out of this discussion, I don't know if this is due to catching too much criticism for your idea, but I just want you to answer the question "What makes you believe there is a connection between QM and Consciousness?" I am not asking that in a sarcastic or derogatory tone, but I am extremely curious. I too am, at this point, but a lost layman and I have noticed that many layman seem to notice this "connection". Many seem to come to that conclusion from the way in some popular books the collapse of the wavefunction is treated, sometimes it seems when they say "measurement" causes collapse, I think some people take "measurement" to mean "measurement by sentient being, therefore relation between consciousness and QM" when in reality, you only need to consider the case in a generalized manner to cut away that understanding. What are we? Physical systems. Why do we have to isolate experiments? Because otherwise they may interact with the external environment (aka physical systems) and decohere. So then it seems more plausible that there *is* a physical connection between us and the environment, but not because we are "us; the human species" but simply because we are physical and we are interacting. Don't adopt an ideology this early in the game (not at all haha), but coming to conclusions about the "obvious" relations between conscioussness and QM this early is too strong. And yes, I am aware that you somewhat retracted the statement about "laughlingy obvious" but you most likely didn't do that because you changed your mind, but more likely you were saying that to appease the "precise scientists" in order to get more replies about the connection, but you yourself still believe it to be "laughlingy obvious"

i guess in a way guys......you have all proved him right
:O
experiment achieved, the mans a physicist lol

he was called out and shoot down, before even asked to further his statments
im not agreeing with the topic....a such
he feals something towards a puzzle he cant understand, and desires to find a connection
the great trait of ALL great physicists
being able to build a mathmatic model or not is not essential for foward thinking thought, and shame on those who shouted him down

i have a keen physics mind...but the numbers are lost on me
my biggest critasim of physics is that its geting lost in numbers

but in regards to the poster
you cant make strong statments like this without any further backup
please further what you were trying to say....in YOUR terms
and try to ignor the 'big-heads' who think they came up with the idear of physics

DaveC426913
Gold Member
the great trait of ALL great physicists
being able to build a mathmatic model or not is not essential for foward thinking thought, and shame on those who shouted him down

Physics without numbers is like a fishtank without fish.

What you're talking about is more akin to Philosophy. But even Philosophy requires a sound knowledge of the subject being philosphized about in order to make a meaningful contribution.

No one is suggesting he - or you - should not be insiped by great ideas in Physics, but you need to be inspired to learn , not to simply invent blissful ideas.

ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
2018 Award
Then you have no idea what physics is. Physics isn't just saying "what goes up, must come down". It must also say where and when it will come down. This is why it becomes extremely useful. Hand waving arguments are not physics. Don't confuse you getting "lost in the numbers" versus the rest of us who understands those "numbers". That complaint is as silly as saying that you are lost in all the musical notes.

What you're in love with is not physics, but rather the idea of physics. There is a difference. You are seeing only the shadow of an animal and think you know what the animal looks like.

Zz.

god
step down from your pedistalls mighty scholars, for i am but a humble man

'then you have no idear what physics is'
you belive in your godlyness that you are a gift to physics?
and should divide the people as to who is worthy?

my post intended to give the poster of this thread....whom you are replying to.....
the oppotunity to respond
....a sense of kinship
because it would seem you are more concerned in being right...than being enlightened

look....
thanks for the advice guys, but my understanding in physics is sound
im not stupid...i appreciate the need for maths in physics
this is why i have A levels in both physics and maths....but also Philosophy

maybe it takes a moment to step back to dream up idears, before you compute all the data

thats all guys

do not question my ability to understand or learn physics when i have given you no reason to

respond to what i posted

I am sure I can speak for the others who have questioned you're ability in that we do not pressume to be "Gods amongst mere mortals" they were replying to a somewhat ignorant statement. When you say I love physics except for the numbers, that sounds like you do not understand the value of mathematics in physics. The OP retracted because he saw that if he was to argue a point, he needed some sort of evidence saying why he was arguing that point. The cliche "outrageous claims require extraordinary evidence" comes to mind. This is the beautiful thing about science, when someone is wrong it is not a personal attack on their intellectual abilities, but the idea is wrong. Even Einstein got things wrong once in a while ( Cosmo Constant) but it does not detract from the validity of science nor does it detract from that scientists abilities. The bottom line is that science can only be right, if it was false, it would therefore not be science. I challenge you to not question the motives of the forum posters here. They are an incredible wealth of knowledge and the fact that they are concerned with being right all the time is to keep the foundation of science as solid as possible, nothing more, nothing less, nothing personal.

Joe

'the great trait of ALL great physicists

my biggest critasim of physics is that its geting lost in numbers'

ok, i did not enter into or ask for a debate of weither or not maths is important to me, physics, the poster or anything......
please read my post again before arriveing at my pov or understanding

what is maths relation to physics?.....fetures nowhere
this was not a question i possed
hence my reply, due to the responce i got not being desirable

my statment....the numbers are lost on me....does not compute to 'i love physics exept for the numbers'
perhaps 'its geting lost in numbers' drew this conclusion
how i dont know
the pursuit of a TOE due to numbers, particals and all manner of new sum poping up which are cluttering physics, would argue for this to be true
but its my POV

mathmatics in physics was once described to me as 'a thing of beauty laced in the divine' bye my father
i have a total understanding of this
so can we all please back off, reevaluate what was said..and get back on topic
woop woooop
thanks joe, i value your pov

i belive that QC is a definate possibilty
it is just beyond us to understand atm, in the same way mass conciousness is
we do not have the ability to control such conciousness beyond our realm of what we understand to be are own conciousness

DaveC426913
Gold Member
Jimmy, we make it a habit to be pretty forgiving of typos and grasp of English, but it is getting increasingly difficult to read your comments with each subsequent post. I have to read each line twice to understand what you're trying to say. This is not a texting chatroom.

Please see PF guidelines regarding grammar and punctuation. You agreed to these when you registered:

In the interest of conveying ideas as clearly as possible, posts are required to show reasonable attention to written English communication standards. This includes the use of proper grammatical structure, punctuation, capitalization, and spelling. SMS messaging shorthand, such as using "u" for "you", is not acceptable.

Evo
Mentor
Locked, this thread is going nowhere.