Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My Role Model

1. Apr 14, 2005 #1
    Most everyone has a role model in their life. They could be a parent, a friend, a teacher, or a sports hero.
    Who is ur role model .... and why u picked him/her as a role model .....

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

4. Apr 14, 2005 #3

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I honestly have never had a role model. There has never been anyone I wanted to be like. That doesn't mean that there weren't things that I was interested in and wanted to do.

Arildno's sloth is pretty cool though. I think the sloth may be my first role model. Those claws are awesome. :approve:

5. Apr 14, 2005 #4
    My Chemistry tutor. He inspired me to love sciences and mathematics.

6. Apr 14, 2005 #5
    It's a toss up between Einstein and Jenna Jameson. On the one hand, Einstein was the master of physics. On the other, Jenna Jameson DEFIES physics.

:rofl:

The Rev

7. Apr 14, 2005 #6
    My dad comes to mind first off, but not for my career motivations as much as everything else.
    When it comes to the person who gave me direction as in "now I know what I want to do with my life" sense the person has changed around over the years. The two primary people, however, are my 8th grade science teacher and Carl Sagan. My science teacher was nothing but supportive when I first started going out into the world of astronomy, and Sagan's outlook on the universe really got to me as well (combined with his charecter Ellie Arroway who I just thought was the most awesome person ever).

8. Apr 14, 2005 #7

Danger

Gold Member

I don't have one. Even the most significant people have faults, (eg. Washington supporting slavery, Howard Hughes being a flaming fruitcake, etc.), some of which might even outweigh their contributions. It's easier to just pick and choose among the best attributes of everybody. If I absolutely had to pick one, I'd probably go with Da Vinci, just because he seems to have had the most fascinating mind ever, and endless curiosity.

edit: Damn! I should have said 'Evo' to nail some brownie points.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2005
  9. Apr 14, 2005 #8
    it was nice reading yours guys ....
    mine is Gandhi ....
    cheeeeerz

10. Apr 14, 2005 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Me, I'm my own role model. :biggrin: Seriously, I don't have one. I always hated those essay questions in school where they asked you to write about your role model. I usually just made up something that I thought would make the teacher happy, so did several of my friends (the more of a sob story you could build up with it, the better the grade). I'm too busy being my own unique self to be bothered trying to be just like someone else.

11. Apr 14, 2005 #10
    I never had a role-model either. I don't really want to emulate anyone in particular. There are many people that I do admire though. At the top of that list today would be Helen Keller.

12. Apr 14, 2005 #11

JasonRox

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Jenna Jameson. :yuck:

I'd have to say... Isaac Asimov.

He inspired me to join the world of mathematics and sciences.

13. Apr 14, 2005 #12
  14. Apr 14, 2005 #13

brewnog

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It used to be my uncle, a successful and happy engineer.

However, now that I've met Danger....

15. Apr 14, 2005 #14

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

16. Apr 14, 2005 #15

SOS2008

Gold Member

So that's how you gained such skill. :biggrin:

I never worship anyone or anything to be sure--definitely not anyone from the entertainment industry. While I can appreciate their achievements, what difference will it make to our world and future? I have learned wonderful things from other people. And do admire people, like Leonardo da Vinci--not that he is better than Newton, for example, but because he was so good at so many things--really amazing. I always felt the best person to compete with is yourself--to compare if you are improving yourself over time, and this should be enough.

17. Apr 14, 2005 #16

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For me its a toss up between Captain Kirk, Frank Zappa, and Mr. Rogers.

18. Apr 14, 2005 #17
    Cool...a mammal with a bill that lays eggs AND has a poison barb on its ankle!

19. Apr 14, 2005 #18
    Mine would half to be the Leakey family, because of the committed research on human origins.

20. Apr 14, 2005 #19
    Malcolm X, Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose

for inspiring me to stand up for my beliefs and to be proud of my country... Also their exemplary personal lives, complete honesty, respectful, courteous, kind, but when the moment struck, they were ready in the battlefied prepared to fight and die for people... I don't even measure up to an iota of their thoughts and actions, but I want to improve....

21. Apr 14, 2005 #20
    brother, are you indian? if you are, I would like to give a link to you on him later..

I admire him for how he lived his life, but his actions and his actions during the latter stages of 1940s just affected India for the definite worse and I am prepared to defend this statement against anyone. India and Pakistan, one of the most unfortunate and sad events of history, could have been united if it hadn't been for him and the Nehru monarchy.. Also, the Indian independence cannot be attributed to him, he played some parts, but Subhash Chandra Bose and the Indian National Army, even after his plane crash, had more of an effect on the Indian independence than Gandhi.. But the sad part is that only a few Indians realize this, everyone else is brainwashed at schools...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?