1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My sketchy proof on functions and mappings. I need help. ( Latex Fixed!)

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

[tex] f : X \rightarrow Y[/tex] , [tex]g : Y \rightarrow Z[/tex] and [tex]B \subset Z[/tex]
    Prove that
    [tex]\left(g \circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B \right) = f^{-1} \left({g^{-1} \left(B\right)\right)[/tex].

What is wrong with this proof ?

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex] x_{0} \in \left(g \circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B\right) \Rightarrow g \left(f\left(x_{0} \right)\right)\in B \Rightarrow f \left(x_{0}\right) \in g^{-1} \left(B\right)[/tex]
    [tex]f \left(x_{0} \right) \in g^{-1} \left(B\right) \Rightarrow x_{0} \in f^{-1} \left(g^{-1} \left(B \right) \right)[/tex]

[tex]\left(g \circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B \right) \subset f^{-1} \left({g^{-1} \left(B \right)\right)[/tex].

I feel uneasy about the proof. I believe my inferences are correct but there is something unsettling about what I did.

Part 2.

Suppose [tex]x_{0} \in f^{-1}\left(g^{-1}\left(B\right)\right)[/tex]

[tex]x_{0}\in f^{-1}\left(g^{-1} \left(B\right)\right) \Rightarrow f \left(x_{0}\right) \in g^{-1}\left(B\right) \Rightarrow g\left(f\left(x_{0}\right)\right) \in B[/tex]

[tex]g \left(f \left(x_{0} \right) \right) \in B \Rightarrow x_{0} \in \left(g \circ f\right)^{-1} \left(B \right)[/tex]

[tex]f^{-1} \left({g^{-1} \left(B\right)\right) \subset \left(g \circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B\right)[/tex].

[tex]\left(g\circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B\right) = f^{-1}\left({g^{-1}\left(B\right)\right)[/tex].

Some feedback would be appreciated. I would like to know if this proof is valid and good enough.
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You need to put a space between latex commands and the next character.

For example \circg will not show up. It needs to be \circ g

Based on your title maybe you made this change? At any rate it's not coming through on my computer
  4. Sep 15, 2010 #3

Staff: Mentor

Fixed some more of your LaTeX. The codomains of the functions weren't showing, plus a few other problems.
  5. Sep 15, 2010 #4
    The funny thing is that I fixed it all and checked to see if it was okay. When I logged back to read the replies it was unchanged.

The forum always acts weird when I use my phone to post threads. I think the mobile version of the forum has some bugs.

Thanks Mark.

Any feedback ?
  6. Sep 15, 2010 #5
    Does anyone have any suggestions are comments ?

I would like to know if this proof supplied here is valid . I would like to know if I have to make adjustments or rewrite the entire thing.
  7. Sep 16, 2010 #6
    Yes, your proof is correct. It's not dodgy.

I think that the reason you think it may possibly be dodgy (correct me if I'm wrong) is because you keep using the fact that [tex]x\in h^{-1}(A)[/tex] is equivalent to [tex]h(x)\in A[/tex].

The notation [tex]h^{-1}[/tex] when applied to a set (instead of an element) is not the inverse function, it's the preimage, and so that statement is actually true by definition
  8. Sep 16, 2010 #7
    Great. You are correct about my uneasiness.

I thought I was making some claims that may put me into trouble.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook