My sketchy proof on functions and mappings. I( Latex Fixed)

In summary: I'll try to be more careful in the future. Thanks for catching that. In summary, the proof provided is valid.
╔(σ_σ)╝

Homework Statement

[tex] f : X \rightarrow Y[/tex] , [tex]g : Y \rightarrow Z[/tex] and [tex]B \subset Z[/tex]
Prove that
[tex]\left(g \circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B \right) = f^{-1} \left({g^{-1} \left(B\right)\right)[/tex].What is wrong with this proof ?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] x_{0} \in \left(g \circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B\right) \Rightarrow g \left(f\left(x_{0} \right)\right)\in B \Rightarrow f \left(x_{0}\right) \in g^{-1} \left(B\right)[/tex]
[tex]f \left(x_{0} \right) \in g^{-1} \left(B\right) \Rightarrow x_{0} \in f^{-1} \left(g^{-1} \left(B \right) \right)[/tex]

Thus,
[tex]\left(g \circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B \right) \subset f^{-1} \left({g^{-1} \left(B \right)\right)[/tex].

I feel uneasy about the proof. I believe my inferences are correct but there is something unsettling about what I did.

Part 2.

Suppose [tex]x_{0} \in f^{-1}\left(g^{-1}\left(B\right)\right)[/tex]

[tex]x_{0}\in f^{-1}\left(g^{-1} \left(B\right)\right) \Rightarrow f \left(x_{0}\right) \in g^{-1}\left(B\right) \Rightarrow g\left(f\left(x_{0}\right)\right) \in B[/tex]

[tex]g \left(f \left(x_{0} \right) \right) \in B \Rightarrow x_{0} \in \left(g \circ f\right)^{-1} \left(B \right)[/tex]
Thus,

[tex]f^{-1} \left({g^{-1} \left(B\right)\right) \subset \left(g \circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B\right)[/tex].

Therefore,

[tex]\left(g\circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B\right) = f^{-1}\left({g^{-1}\left(B\right)\right)[/tex].Some feedback would be appreciated. I would like to know if this proof is valid and good enough.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to put a space between latex commands and the next character.

For example \circg will not show up. It needs to be \circ g

Based on your title maybe you made this change? At any rate it's not coming through on my computer

Fixed some more of your LaTeX. The codomains of the functions weren't showing, plus a few other problems.
╔(σ_σ)╝ said:

Homework Statement

[tex] f : X\rightarrow Y[/tex] , [tex]g : Y\rightarrow Z[/tex] and [tex]B\subset Z[/tex]
Prove that
[tex]\left(g\circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B\right) = f^{-1}\left({g^{-1}\left(B\right)\right)[/tex].

What is wrong with this proof ?

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] x_{0}\in \left(g\circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B\right) \Rightarrow g\left(f\left(x_{0}\right)\right)\in B \Rightarrow f\left(x_{0}\right)\in g^{-1}\left(B\right)[/tex]
[tex]f\left(x_{0}\right)\in g^{-1}\left(B\right) \Rightarrow x_{0}\in f^{-1}\left(g^{-1}\left(B\right)\right)[/tex]

Thus,
[tex]\left(g\circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B\right) \subset f^{-1}\left({g^{-1}\left(B\right)\right)[/tex].

I feel uneasy about the proof. I believe my inferences are correct but there is something unsettling about what I did.

Part 2.

Suppose [tex]x_{0}\in f^{-1}\left(g^{-1}\left(B\right)\right)[/tex]

[tex]x_{0}\in f^{-1}\left(g^{-1}\left(B\right)\right) \Rightarrow f\left(x_{0}\right) \in g^{-1}\left(B\right) \Rightarrow g\left(f\left(x_{0}\right)\right) \in B[/tex]

[tex]g\left(f\left(x_{0}\right)\right) \in B \Rightarrow x_{0} \in \left(g \circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B\right)[/tex]
Thus,

[tex]f^{-1}\left({g^{-1}\left(B\right)\right) \subset \left(g\circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B\right)[/tex].

Therefore,

[tex]\left(g\circ f\right)^{-1}\left(B\right) = f^{-1}\left({g^{-1}\left(B\right)\right)[/tex].

Some feedback would be appreciated. I would like to know if this proof is valid and good enough.

The funny thing is that I fixed it all and checked to see if it was okay. When I logged back to read the replies it was unchanged.

The forum always acts weird when I use my phone to post threads. I think the mobile version of the forum has some bugs.

Thanks Mark.Any feedback ?

Does anyone have any suggestions are comments ?

I would like to know if this proof supplied here is valid . I would like to know if I have to make adjustments or rewrite the entire thing.

╔(σ_σ)╝ said:
Does anyone have any suggestions are comments ?

I would like to know if this proof supplied here is valid . I would like to know if I have to make adjustments or rewrite the entire thing.

Yes, your proof is correct. It's not dodgy.

I think that the reason you think it may possibly be dodgy (correct me if I'm wrong) is because you keep using the fact that [tex]x\in h^{-1}(A)[/tex] is equivalent to [tex]h(x)\in A[/tex].

The notation [tex]h^{-1}[/tex] when applied to a set (instead of an element) is not the inverse function, it's the preimage, and so that statement is actually true by definition

Great. You are correct about my uneasiness.

I thought I was making some claims that may put me into trouble.

1. What is a function?

A function is a mathematical concept that describes the relationship between two sets of values, known as the input and output. It maps each input value to exactly one output value.

2. How can you determine if a graph represents a function?

A graph represents a function if every input value (x-value) has only one corresponding output value (y-value). In other words, the vertical line test can be used to determine if a graph represents a function - if a vertical line can be drawn through the graph and only intersects at one point, then it is a function.

3. What is the difference between a function and a mapping?

A function is a specific type of mapping that is defined by a set of mathematical rules. A mapping, on the other hand, is a more general concept that describes any relationship between two sets of values.

4. Can a function have more than one output value for a single input value?

No, by definition, a function can only have one output value for each input value. This is known as the one-to-one mapping principle.

5. How can I prove that a mapping is a function?

To prove that a mapping is a function, you need to show that for every input value, there is exactly one corresponding output value. This can be done by using a table, graph, or algebraic proof.