My sticky thread in differential geometry

• Thread starter lethe
  • Start date
In summary: We want to be able to remove objectionable content when we see it, and not have to rely on the members to do it for us.
lethe
i once deleted my posts from the sticky thread on differential forms, because i do not agree with PF's strong censorship policies, and therefore do not want my words posted there in perpetuum. if you are not willing to allow me to remove the words which you asked me to copy and paste here from sciforums, then would you at least make the thread not sticky? I do not feel comfortable with this forum using my hard work to represent itself against my will.

it seems to me that in the interests of honesty and full disclosure, you should make clear in you site guidelines that PF reserves the right to keep your copyrighted works forever once you have deleted them.

it also seems to be that whoever (re-)posted my copyrighted words to that thread was in violation of PF's policy of not infringing on copyrights (although IANAL).

it is an underhanded trick. I hold the copyright on my words. I ask you to at least remove the thread's sticky status if you are unwilling to allow me to take my ball and go home.

Physics news on Phys.org
welcome back lethe :uhh: your thread is unstuck compliments of your good friend chroot :biggrin:

Greg Bernhardt said:
welcome back lethe :uhh: your thread is unstuck compliments of your good friend chroot :biggrin:
that guy is not my friend. he is a liar

lethe said:
it seems to me that in the interests of honesty and full disclosure, you should make clear in you site guidelines that PF reserves the right to keep your copyrighted works forever once you have deleted them.

The misunderstanding here is what is actually meant by "deleting messages". When you deleted the messages, you "soft" deleted them. That means they never left the site. They were simply out of view from the membership (but not the staff).

All that was done to your messages was an "undelete". It is considered an act of editing, which the PF staff openly reserves the right to do.

Tom Mattson said:
The misunderstanding here is what is actually meant by "deleting messages". When you deleted the messages, you "soft" deleted them. That means they never left the site. They were simply out of view from the membership (but not the staff).

All that was done to your messages was an "undelete". It is considered an act of editing, which the PF staff openly reserves the right to do.
Anticipating the inevitable, yes, this is a reasonable policy because it allows us more control over the content of the forums. We've had people mass-delete their posts, for example, which is very disruptive to the forum.

1. What is differential geometry?

Differential geometry is a branch of mathematics that studies smooth curves and surfaces in multi-dimensional spaces. It combines the techniques of calculus and linear algebra to analyze the geometric properties of curved objects.

2. What is a sticky thread in differential geometry?

A sticky thread in differential geometry refers to a specific problem or topic that is frequently encountered and requires a deeper understanding of the subject. It is often a challenging concept or theorem that is essential to understanding the broader principles of differential geometry.

3. Why is differential geometry important?

Differential geometry has many applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and computer graphics. It provides a framework for understanding the curvature and shape of objects, which is crucial in designing and analyzing complex systems.

4. What are some common techniques used in differential geometry?

Some common techniques used in differential geometry include vector calculus, tensor analysis, and differential forms. These tools help to describe and manipulate geometric objects in different dimensions.

5. How can I improve my understanding of differential geometry?

A good way to improve your understanding of differential geometry is to practice solving problems and working through proofs. It is also helpful to read textbooks and attend lectures or seminars to gain a deeper understanding of the subject.