Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My stovetop griddle is sick

1. Sep 22, 2012 #1

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I bought me this super sexah double-sided stove top griddle and I've only had it for about a month and it has this weird discoloration on it.

9igx0k.jpg

SEEEEEEEE!?!??!!

I've never used cast iron cookware before and I hear it has some peculiarities. Can anyone tell me what might be happening here?

DISCUSS!!!!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2012 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

It is pengy-fungi-infested.

4. Sep 22, 2012 #3

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Is there a cure?

5. Sep 22, 2012 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Ignore it. Then it slinks away. Usually.

6. Sep 22, 2012 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:grumpy:

7. Sep 22, 2012 #6
    I have the same problem. In fact, mine has turned entirely black.

8. Sep 22, 2012 #7

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Did one leave it in water? The brown colouring appears to be rust. Cast iron corrodes readily in water. If one washes it, dry it quickly. It there is rust, remove the rust with steel wool and reason the CI skillet/pot.

How to use and care for cast iron products.
    http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-care-seasoned-cast-iron.asp [Broken]

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...g-cast-iron-skillet-10000001178519/index.html

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  9. Sep 22, 2012 #8

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Looks like rust. Is it an American-made cast iron griddle with a fine grain, or one of those cheap Asian knockoffs that are hard to season, hard to maintain, easy to mess up? Did you season it properly when you first bought it? Do you occasionally re-season it?

Do you wash it with soap and water? Don't. Ever. Do. That. Or when you do, you had better scrub it down to bare metal and start all over again.

This one looks like you need to scrub it down to bare metal and start all over again. You might need emery paper. That looks like an ugly mess. This time, season it properly, clean it properly, and then maintain it properly. It's not as hard as it sounds. Cleanup is a snap if it is seasoned properly.

10. Sep 22, 2012 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I NOT KNOW :( :( :(

It's American made and yes, I clearly cleaned it incorrectly. It was pre-seasoned but I guess I shall be re-seasoning it later.

11. Sep 22, 2012 #10

turbo

Gold Member

You can scrub off the rust using coarse salt, then rinse with plain water and heat in the oven to dry it. Next, coat the griddle with oil and heat it gradually in the oven until the oil is baked on. That's it. And DH is right. Never use soap. Soap damages or entirely removes the oil layer that you put on to cure (season) the cast iron.

Edit: With the grooves, scouring with salt might take you a bit longer, but that's what my wife and I do with all our cast iron cookware. Got a frying pan with a bit of cheese or egg cooked on? Scour it clean with coarse sea-salt, oil it and reheat. Our cast iron skillets are shiny, smooth, and practically non-stick because of this treatment. Good luck with the skillet. BTW, do not use steel wool on rusty cast iron. The residue from the steel wool (especially if the cast iron is porous) will cause more corrosion.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  12. Sep 22, 2012 #11

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I agree with using salt for cleaning food off after use, any type of salt can be used, I wouldn't use sea salt to scrub it though, that's a waste of money.

13. Sep 22, 2012 #12

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Waste of money???
    What nonsense!
    My slugs die much quicker by a liberal Maldon sprinkling than with any other salt, and I'm sure Penguinos problem will disappear just as quick using it.

14. Sep 22, 2012 #13

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Lol!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook