Why is My Stovetop Griddle Discoloring After Only a Month of Use?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
In summary: Okay, let's get back on topic. In summary, the user has a cast iron griddle that has developed a rust discoloration after only a month of use. This may be due to improper cleaning and seasoning techniques. The user should scrub off the rust with coarse salt and re-season the griddle properly. It is important to never use soap on cast iron cookware and to regularly re-season to maintain its non-stick properties.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
I bought me this super sexah double-sided stove top griddle and I've only had it for about a month and it has this weird discoloration on it.

9igx0k.jpg

SEEEEEEEE?!

I've never used cast iron cookware before and I hear it has some peculiarities. Can anyone tell me what might be happening here?

DISCUSS!

Physics news on Phys.org
It is pengy-fungi-infested.

arildno said:
It is pengy-fungi-infested.

Is there a cure?

Pengwuino said:
Is there a cure?
Ignore it. Then it slinks away. Usually.

arildno said:
Ignore it. Then it slinks away. Usually.

:grumpy:

I have the same problem. In fact, mine has turned entirely black.

Pengwuino said:
I bought me this super sexah double-sided stove top griddle and I've only had it for about a month and it has this weird discoloration on it.

SEEEEEEEE?!

I've never used cast iron cookware before and I hear it has some peculiarities. Can anyone tell me what might be happening here?

DISCUSS!
Did one leave it in water? The brown colouring appears to be rust. Cast iron corrodes readily in water. If one washes it, dry it quickly. It there is rust, remove the rust with steel wool and reason the CI skillet/pot.

How to use and care for cast iron products.
http://www.lodgemfg.com/use-care-seasoned-cast-iron.asp

http://www.realsimple.com/food-reci...g-cast-iron-skillet-10000001178519/index.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Pengwuino said:
Looks like rust. Is it an American-made cast iron griddle with a fine grain, or one of those cheap Asian knockoffs that are hard to season, hard to maintain, easy to mess up? Did you season it properly when you first bought it? Do you occasionally re-season it?

Do you wash it with soap and water? Don't. Ever. Do. That. Or when you do, you had better scrub it down to bare metal and start all over again.

This one looks like you need to scrub it down to bare metal and start all over again. You might need emery paper. That looks like an ugly mess. This time, season it properly, clean it properly, and then maintain it properly. It's not as hard as it sounds. Cleanup is a snap if it is seasoned properly.

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I NOT KNOW :( :( :(

It's American made and yes, I clearly cleaned it incorrectly. It was pre-seasoned but I guess I shall be re-seasoning it later.

You can scrub off the rust using coarse salt, then rinse with plain water and heat in the oven to dry it. Next, coat the griddle with oil and heat it gradually in the oven until the oil is baked on. That's it. And DH is right. Never use soap. Soap damages or entirely removes the oil layer that you put on to cure (season) the cast iron.

Edit: With the grooves, scouring with salt might take you a bit longer, but that's what my wife and I do with all our cast iron cookware. Got a frying pan with a bit of cheese or egg cooked on? Scour it clean with coarse sea-salt, oil it and reheat. Our cast iron skillets are shiny, smooth, and practically non-stick because of this treatment. Good luck with the skillet. BTW, do not use steel wool on rusty cast iron. The residue from the steel wool (especially if the cast iron is porous) will cause more corrosion.

Last edited:
I agree with using salt for cleaning food off after use, any type of salt can be used, I wouldn't use sea salt to scrub it though, that's a waste of money.

Evo said:
I agree with using salt for cleaning food off after use, any type of salt can be used, I wouldn't use sea salt to scrub it though, that's a waste of money.
Waste of money?
What nonsense!
My slugs die much quicker by a liberal Maldon sprinkling than with any other salt, and I'm sure Penguinos problem will disappear just as quick using it.

arildno said:
Waste of money?
What nonsense!
My slugs die much quicker by a liberal Maldon sprinkling than with any other salt, and I'm sure Penguinos problem will disappear just as quick using it.
Lol!

1. Why is my stovetop griddle not heating up?

There could be several reasons for this issue. Some common causes include a faulty heating element, a malfunctioning temperature control knob, or a tripped circuit breaker. It is best to check these components first before seeking further assistance.

2. How can I clean my stovetop griddle?

To clean your stovetop griddle, first wait for it to cool down completely. Then, use a non-abrasive cleaner and a soft cloth to wipe down the surface. For stubborn stains, you can use a mixture of baking soda and water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or steel wool, as they can damage the griddle's surface.

3. Can I use metal utensils on my stovetop griddle?

It is not recommended to use metal utensils on a stovetop griddle as they can scratch and damage the surface. Instead, opt for non-metal utensils such as wooden or silicone ones.

4. How can I prevent my stovetop griddle from warping?

To prevent warping, it is important to use your stovetop griddle on a flat and even surface. Avoid placing it on a hot burner or using it on high heat for extended periods. Additionally, make sure to let it cool down completely before cleaning or storing.

5. Why is my stovetop griddle producing smoke?

If your stovetop griddle is producing smoke, it could be due to excess grease or food residue on the surface. Make sure to clean it thoroughly before each use. It could also be caused by using excessive heat, so adjust the temperature accordingly. If the issue persists, it is best to contact the manufacturer for assistance.