Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My stupidity

1. Mar 16, 2005 #1

Ba

Yesterday, I did something really stupid. I deleted GDI.exe from my windows system folder. Is there anyway to replace it without reloading windows since I don't know where the disk is? I was deleting some virus that put in a hundred or so exe files with permutations of three letters as their title and I accidently got the Gdi.exe as well.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2005 #2

saltydog

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm not sure, but maybe doing a "system restore to an earlier date" will correct this problem. Go to "PC Help and Tools" and select "System Restore" and then do a restore to an earlier date. Perhaps someone here can verify this.

4. Mar 17, 2005 #3
    You could have the deleted file in the Recycle Bin.
    Even if you don't have that file, Windows automatically re creates important files that have been completely deleted (I don't know about Gdi.exe). Try also system restore at an earlier point as saltydog suggested. Otherwise, try to find the installation CD if that's not a big trouble.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?