Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Insights My Superparticle Bet with Frank Wilczek - Comments

1. Jul 28, 2015 #41

garrett

Gold Member

"Discovery" in this context means 5 sigma.

2. Jul 28, 2015 #42

strangerep

Science Advisor

Heh, since he didn't pay up on time I guess you will be within your rights to require an extension if superparticles are found at 5 sigma by that date, on the grounds that more data acquired within a year or two thereafter might reverse the conclusion. :oldwink:

3. Aug 11, 2015 #43

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

I like the notion of bets but also think its been overdone. Each bet ups the ante from before.

Now if your bet winnings were for a noble charity then the news would help the charity as well, everyone wins and altruism triumphs again.

4. Aug 27, 2015 #44
    Well, you've started it. Your comments reek of negativity towards Garret. If you don't like him just say so.

5. Nov 25, 2015 #45
    Bets are stupid.

6. Nov 25, 2015 #46

Demystifier

Science Advisor

Unless the mean (expected) value of the profit is positive.

7. Nov 25, 2015 #47
    The Pacific Science Institute link is broken.

8. Nov 26, 2015 #48

strangerep

Science Advisor

Oh c'mon -- it's just a bit of fun. Since when is fun stupid? :oldbiggrin:

9. Nov 27, 2015 #49

Demystifier

Science Advisor

All the best things in life are free and stupid. :oldbiggrin:

10. Aug 17, 2016 #50
  11. Aug 17, 2016 #51

strangerep

Science Advisor

12. Dec 29, 2017 #52
    Hi sir garret,

I have a few questions regarding the geometric theory of everything:

1. does the E8 describe the whole structure of spacetime or does it describe the fundamental parts that make up spacetime?
    2. does it imply that the spacetime itself influences the way matter is being formed or is it the other way around?
    3. if spacetime is made of an E8 based structure, how does it behave?

please correct me if i am wrong on this i am really interested in your work and on how it is related to the structure of spacetime
    and on how matter, energy, and other emergents behave to fit in current observations.

13. Dec 29, 2017 #53

PAllen

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Not sure what you mean here. Frank bet in favor of his favorite, supersymmetry. Hawking bet in favor of BH information loss and in favor of cosmic censorship, both of which were his favorites. On the former, Hawking conceded completely. On the latter, Hawking admitted he lost on what he considered a technicality, paid up, and reissued a tighter form of the cojecture (evolution of a naked singularity from any set of initial conditions, not containing a naked singularity, not of measure zero). The reissued bet is still wide open.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted