1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My Thesis

1. Jul 17, 2005 #1
    I NOTICED THAT THE TIME REQUIRED FOR A GIVEN MASS OF A LIQUID IS PROPORTIONAL DIRECTLY TO THE MASS OF THE LIQUID PROVIDED THE HEAT SUPPLY IS CONSTANT,WHICH MAKES t PROPORTIONAL TO m,the heat is constant.now heat is mctheta +ml.which makes t =m^2(l+ctheta).how true is this,is there a fault i this let me know

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2005 #2
    given mass of liquid to change to gas to be precised,i made a mistake typin

4. Jul 17, 2005 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Okay, every liquid has a "heat of boiling" that is the amount of heat required to change 1 gram of the liquid, already at the boiling point into gas. In order to boil x grams of liquid, you must supply a specific number of calories of heat. If you are providing the heat at a constant rate, then the time required to convert all of the liquid to gas is proportional to the mass.

However, having said "THE HEAT SUPPLY IS CONSTANT", you then say "now heat is mctheta +ml". I don't understand that. What are the variables? m, c, theta, l?
    or is that ctheta[/b]? I would guess that m is the mass, but what are c and theta (or ctheta[/b]) and is l a separate constant or is ml one amount? Please tell us what your symbols mean.

5. Jul 18, 2005 #4
    m mass of liquid,c specific heat capacity,theta change in temp.l latent heat of vaporization

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?