Is It Normal to Feel Uncertain About My Future Career Path in University?

In summary, this person does not have a strong direction in life and does not know what they want to do with their life.
vabamyyr
I entered university fall 2004 to study engineering physics. The course program was quite interesting and I am pretty satisfied with what I`ve learned so far. But i think i don't have that much interest in all sorts of machines and stuff like that. I could say i like calculus and pure math more (series, diferential an integral calculus, diferential equations etc.). But I am not sure who I want to be in the future. i know its a bad thing but that's the way it is. Any objective opinions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Many students don't have direction to where they want to end up.

This is very normal.

You know what you enjoy (maths), but you don't know where you want it to take you.

Have you considered teaching high school? Or should you go for a masters you may be able to teach first and second year courses at university.

vabamyyr said:
But I am not sure who I want to be in the future. i know its a bad thing but that's the way it is. Any objective opinions?

Don't worry too much. We all have been there. You will find your way through, trust me. You need to think about your options. Do you want to go for more fundamental research ? Then you should look in the direction of physics more then engineering. There are many options like theoretical physics in several areas (field theory, condensed matter, QM, solid state) or you can go for the more experimental work in the lab or some other research facility. You can also apply your knowledge in electronics or nanotechnology. really, you have many options and that's a good thing. Just be patient. The devine sign will strike some time :wink:

marlon

Scroll down to the 'what is a physicist' entry for more info and links to various options in the real world.
https://www.physicsforums.com/journal.php?s=&action=view&journalid=13790&perpage=10&page=8

Last edited by a moderator:
vabamyyr said:
I entered university fall 2004 to study engineering physics. The course program was quite interesting and I am pretty satisfied with what I`ve learned so far. But i think i don't have that much interest in all sorts of machines and stuff like that. I could say i like calculus and pure math more (series, diferential an integral calculus, diferential equations etc.). But I am not sure who I want to be in the future. i know its a bad thing but that's the way it is. Any objective opinions?

No, no! It is NOT a bad thing!

As singleton has pointed out, it is common that most students don't know what they want to do or where they want to end up. In fact, I'd say that the students who are VERY rigid into thinking they know exactly what they want to do tend to set themselves up for a failure. Things very seldom work the way one plans.

The problem in giving you any more concrete advice is that most of us, or I in particular, don't know your situation, or the environment you're in. So we can't tell you that so-and-so opportunity is available after you graduate. What I do suggest you do is get as b-r-o-a-d of an experience as possible while you're in school. Engineering physics already allows you to stradle two different fields. So get as much as you can from each side. It allows you the flexibility to go in one direction or another if you finally find something you can and want to do.

Zz.

1. What is the importance of having thoughts about my future?

Having thoughts about your future can provide direction and motivation in your present actions. It allows you to set goals and make plans to achieve them, ultimately leading to a more fulfilling and successful life.

2. How can I control my thoughts about my future?

While it may be difficult to completely control your thoughts, you can practice mindfulness and focus on positive thinking. Also, setting specific and achievable goals can help guide your thoughts towards a desired future.

3. Should I be worried if my thoughts about my future are uncertain?

Uncertainty about the future is completely normal and natural. It's important to remember that your thoughts and plans about the future can always change and evolve. Embrace the uncertainty and use it as an opportunity for growth and new experiences.

4. Can my thoughts about my future change?

Absolutely! As you grow and experience new things, your thoughts about the future may change. It's important to be open to new ideas and possibilities, and to not be afraid to adjust your plans accordingly.

5. How can I turn my thoughts about my future into actions?

One way to turn your thoughts into actions is by creating a plan with specific steps and deadlines. Additionally, finding an accountability partner or joining a support group can help keep you motivated and on track towards achieving your future goals.