My thoughts on gravity.

• Thread starter Hexx
  • Start date
Hexx
1288026580322.jpg

1288025340936.jpg

1288026369189.jpg

Answers and Replies

This is gonna sound unintellectual, but how is this not possible?

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Step three is impossible. Person one cannot exert a force on person two without experiencing an equal but opposite force themselves. In other words, if person one attempts to lift person two whilst in mid-air, person one will accelerate downwards whilst person two accelerates upwards - the two people would then lose contact making step four impossible.

Similar reasoning applies to the other two examples.

Hexx
Step three is impossible. Person one cannot exert a force on person two without experiencing an equal but opposite force themselves. In other words, if person one attempts to lift person two whilst in mid-air, person one will accelerate downwards whilst person two accelerates upwards - the two people would then lose contact making step four impossible.

Similar reasoning applies to the other two examples.
have you tried?

Everyone whose read the bible (The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy) knows that the secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground, and miss.

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
have you tried?
No. As I explained above, any attempt would be futile. This is not something that needs to verified experimentally - it cannot be done.

This is not something that needs to verified experimentally.
I take it you are a mathematician. The way to fly is to have an magnet in one hand held high and a piece of iron in the other hand held low. The magnet will pull the iron up. As long as you keep your arms stiff, you will be pulled up with it.

Hootenanny
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I take it you are a mathematician. The way to fly is to have an magnet in one hand held high and a piece of iron in the other hand held low. The magnet will pull the iron up. As long as you keep your arms stiff, you will be pulled up with it.
I am indeed (an applied one at least) - what gave me away? :rolleyes:

Just to clarify, this was posted in General Physics when I replied and not General Discussion. So if my response seemed pompous - that's why! :smile:

really, i know this sounds odd in a physics discussion here..
but those were freaking HILARIOUS!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I like the one where you build a monorail-like track all the way around the Earth, then take out all the support beams all at the same time, giving Earth a floating ring.

Those means of beating gravity will fail because Netwon ruined them long ago. Fortunately there are other means. One can exploit the law that a cat always lands on its feet and a buttered toast always land on the butter side
Anti-gravity.gif

I am not a mathematician, but since I am stuck in the US, I am lost in endless negotiations with PETA to publish the results.

Attachments

haha^^
:rofl::rofl:

I like the one where you build a monorail-like track all the way around the Earth, then take out all the support beams all at the same time, giving Earth a floating ring.
That is theoretically correct, right? (Serious question).

The ocean side of the earth might have less gravitational pull due to less density of water), but that we could adjust in the beam mass.

we could adjust in the beam mass.
How about tides ?

disregardthat
Science Advisor
How about tides ?
Make it hollow and fill it partly with water. Implement an advanced system which corrigates the amount of water in each part of the section needed to be in perfect balance.

How about tides ?
Even if the ring is not adjusted for the gravity, only one point of the ring would be touching the earth, correct?

We can have gravity sensors all over the ring, and do some floating mass to balance the ring.