What is the Impact of Gravity?

In summary, the conversation discusses various hypothetical ways to beat gravity, including lifting someone in mid-air, using magnets and iron, building a monorail-like track around the Earth, and creating a floating ring by taking out support beams. However, the laws of physics make these methods impossible. Using gravity sensors and a balancing system, it may be possible to create a floating ring, but it is not a practical solution.
Hexx
1288026580322.jpg

1288025340936.jpg

1288026369189.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
This is going to sound unintellectual, but how is this not possible?

1288027526683.jpg

Attachments

• 1288027635739.jpg
    1288027635739.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 453
Hexx said:
Step three is impossible. Person one cannot exert a force on person two without experiencing an equal but opposite force themselves. In other words, if person one attempts to lift person two whilst in mid-air, person one will accelerate downwards whilst person two accelerates upwards - the two people would then lose contact making step four impossible.

Similar reasoning applies to the other two examples.

Hootenanny said:
Step three is impossible. Person one cannot exert a force on person two without experiencing an equal but opposite force themselves. In other words, if person one attempts to lift person two whilst in mid-air, person one will accelerate downwards whilst person two accelerates upwards - the two people would then lose contact making step four impossible.

Similar reasoning applies to the other two examples.

have you tried?

Everyone whose read the bible (The Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy) knows that the secret to flying is to throw yourself at the ground, and miss.

Hexx said:
have you tried?
No. As I explained above, any attempt would be futile. This is not something that needs to verified experimentally - it cannot be done.

Hootenanny said:
This is not something that needs to verified experimentally.
I take it you are a mathematician. The way to fly is to have an magnet in one hand held high and a piece of iron in the other hand held low. The magnet will pull the iron up. As long as you keep your arms stiff, you will be pulled up with it.

Jimmy Snyder said:
I take it you are a mathematician. The way to fly is to have an magnet in one hand held high and a piece of iron in the other hand held low. The magnet will pull the iron up. As long as you keep your arms stiff, you will be pulled up with it.
I am indeed (an applied one at least) - what gave me away? :rolleyes:

Just to clarify, this was posted in General Physics when I replied and not General Discussion. So if my response seemed pompous - that's why! :smile:

really, i know this sounds odd in a physics discussion here..
but those were freaking HILARIOUS!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I like the one where you build a monorail-like track all the way around the Earth, then take out all the support beams all at the same time, giving Earth a floating ring.

Those means of beating gravity will fail because Netwon ruined them long ago. Fortunately there are other means. One can exploit the law that a cat always lands on its feet and a buttered toast always land on the butter side
Anti-gravity.gif

I am not a mathematician, but since I am stuck in the US, I am lost in endless negotiations with PETA to publish the results.

Attachments

• Anti-gravity.gif
    Anti-gravity.gif
    42.5 KB · Views: 395
haha^^
:rofl::rofl:

leroyjenkens said:
I like the one where you build a monorail-like track all the way around the Earth, then take out all the support beams all at the same time, giving Earth a floating ring.

That is theoretically correct, right? (Serious question).

The ocean side of the Earth might have less gravitational pull due to less density of water), but that we could adjust in the beam mass.

jobyts said:
we could adjust in the beam mass.
How about tides ?

humanino said:
How about tides ?

Make it hollow and fill it partly with water. Implement an advanced system which corrigates the amount of water in each part of the section needed to be in perfect balance.

humanino said:
How about tides ?

Even if the ring is not adjusted for the gravity, only one point of the ring would be touching the earth, correct?

We can have gravity sensors all over the ring, and do some floating mass to balance the ring.

What is the Impact of Gravity?

The impact of gravity refers to the force that pulls objects towards each other. It is a fundamental force of nature that affects all objects with mass.

How does gravity affect us on Earth?

Gravity is what keeps us grounded on Earth and allows us to walk and move around. It also affects the motion of objects and the formation of tides on our planet.

What is the difference between mass and weight in relation to gravity?

Mass is the amount of matter in an object, while weight is the measure of the force of gravity on that object. Mass stays the same regardless of location, but weight can change based on the strength of gravity in different places.

How does gravity impact the motion of objects?

Gravity affects the motion of objects by pulling them towards each other. It is responsible for the orbit of planets around the sun and the moon around Earth. It also causes objects to fall towards the ground when dropped.

What would happen if there was no gravity?

If there was no gravity, objects would not be held together and would float away from each other. There would be no planets or stars, and life as we know it would not be possible without the force of gravity.