Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My Thread Closed: Speed Has Direction

1. Nov 22, 2004 #1
    The discussion wasn't over Tom. I assume you closed it because the rudeness and ingnorance on fundamentals I've experienced with you before.

I challege you Tom to debate this if you really think it's nonsense that speed doesn't have direction. I'll beat you every step of the way, because I have respect for the roots in which physics grew out of. You seem not to understand the fundamentals. By my experience of your non-intelligent but yet rude reations to people on this site, you seem to be more of a mocking bird of suggested teachings than one who understands the principles that the teachings are based upon.

If you really think you can debate me and win, open the thread and bring it on.

If not, then don't call yourself a mentor, because mentors lead in the right direction. They don't shut doors. Give up. And behave rudely to people. That is for the weak minded teachers I've met in my life. And you act just like one!

If you think you're so smart and call yourself a mentor physicist, then beat me in argument on this topic. I know you can't, and I'll prove it, given the opportunity that any leader would take to show how to debate and lead in the correct direction.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The word speed, as used with a physicst's definition, is a scalar quantity. It does not have direction.

- Warren
  4. Nov 22, 2004 #3

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Speed (s) is the magnitude of the velocity vector (v).

Certainly the velocity vector has direction, quantified by θ:

v=v cos(θ)i+v sin(θ)j.

But when we calculate the speed we get:

Now do you see any θ-dependence in there? Neither do I.

This is a simple matter of definition that is taught in any basic physics course. You should enroll in one.

Now that that is over with: Cut the crap, or we will cut it for you. If you want to ask questions, that's fine. If you want to make false assertions supported by nonsensical arguments (as is your habbit), then that's not fine. If you keep doing what you've been doing, then you are going to find yourself taking a vacation from Physics Forums in the very near future.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?