My thread was marked as of Substandard Quality

• Thread starter Kimberly D Caudle
  • Start date
In summary, a new member of the forum posted a question about quantum mechanics and its impact on real life. The thread was immediately removed by a moderator named fresh_42, who explained that philosophical questions are not allowed on the forum. The new member questioned this decision and expressed frustration with the forum's guidelines. The moderator responded by explaining that the forum's purpose is to discuss mainstream science and that philosophy is not considered a part of that. The thread was then closed.
Kimberly D Caudle
Hi,

I'm guilty of being new to this forum, and thought you guys were a group of friendly and accommodative folks.

Made a mistake of posting a question about QM and its impact on real life, and was punished through an immediate removal of the thread by a gentleman that goes by the name of fresh_42.

The title of the thread in question was: https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/5808052/

I asked this gentleman the reason of his actions, and this is what he responded:

"it hasn't been a bit philosophical, it was purely philosophical. In addition "why" questions are basically not to answer. They open up a debate about all and everything. Additionally the connection to QM has been rather artificial. It doesn't have anything to do with whether someone has an accident or not. Also what does "most of the time" or "almost 100%" mean?

Regards,
fresh_42"

My paltry take on this is that the quality standards are subject to personal opinion of the moderators/mentors of this forum. If it clicks them, it's acceptable, if not then it can be promptly deleted.

- Why can't we ask simple why questions?
- Why can't we ask philosophical questions?
- Why can't questions that are "open for debate" be debated?

I registered today, and being blunted out because it did not match the mood of a certain individual.

Bully behavior, that is what it is.

Kim.

Physics news on Phys.org
We are friendly, but we try to keep away from philosophical and religious matters. There is, as of now, no quantum mechanical model of life in general and human conscience/will in particular, thus any discussion on this would be pointless.

Likes Evo
dextercioby said:
We are friendly, but we try to keep away from philosophical and religious matters. There is, as of now, no quantum mechanical model of life in general and human conscience/will in particular, thus any discussion on this would be pointless.

I apologize for my outburst. A bit unnecessary.

But coming to the topic, shouldn't the members decide on whether it is pointless or worth a point or two?

The whole mission of these forums is to talk and to get the debate going. There are plenty of science websites out there that provide information. Forums exist to encourage "friendly communities."

Either way, I believe I will be wasting my time, since you guys operate in a certain manner, which cannot be questioned.

I had to let my thoughts known here. Would rather not participate in the future.

Thank you.
Kim.

Kimberly D Caudle said:
Hi,

I'm guilty of being new to this forum, and thought you guys were a group of friendly and accommodative folks.

Made a mistake of posting a question about QM and its impact on real life, and was punished through an immediate removal of the thread by a gentleman that goes by the name of fresh_42.

The title of the thread in question was: https://www.physicsforums.com/posts/5808052/

I asked this gentleman the reason of his actions, and this is what he responded:

"it hasn't been a bit philosophical, it was purely philosophical. In addition "why" questions are basically not to answer. They open up a debate about all and everything. Additionally the connection to QM has been rather artificial. It doesn't have anything to do with whether someone has an accident or not. Also what does "most of the time" or "almost 100%" mean?

Regards,
fresh_42"

My paltry take on this is that the quality standards are subject to personal opinion of the moderators/mentors of this forum. If it clicks them, it's acceptable, if not then it can be promptly deleted.

- Why can't we ask simple why questions?
Physics isn't much concerned with "why" questions. For a good explanation, see this interview with Richard Feynman - .
Kimberly D Caudle said:
- Why can't we ask philosophical questions?
Because they aren't allowed at this site. We used to have a section that dealt with philosophy, but such questions produced so much heat and so little light, that the staff (mentors and administrators) decided to discontinue this section.
Kimberly D Caudle said:
- Why can't questions that are "open for debate" be debated?
Our guiding principle is this, taken from the rules and guidelines for this forum:
We wish to discuss mainstream science. That means only topics that can be found in textbooks or that have been published in reputable journals.
Kimberly D Caudle said:
I registered today, and being blunted out because it did not match the mood of a certain individual.

Bully behavior, that is what it is.

Kim.
It had nothing to do with the mood of an individual. When you registered at this site, you registered under the condition that you agreed with our rules and guidelines. Please take another look at them - https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/physics-forums-global-guidelines.414380/

Thread closed.

Likes cnh1995 and Evo

1. What does it mean when my thread is marked as "Substandard Quality"?

When your thread is marked as "Substandard Quality", it means that it does not meet the standards or criteria set by the forum or community. This could be due to various reasons such as lack of evidence, poor grammar and spelling, or irrelevant content.

2. Why was my thread marked as "Substandard Quality"?

Your thread may have been marked as "Substandard Quality" because it did not meet the guidelines set by the forum or community. This could be due to various reasons such as lack of evidence, poor grammar and spelling, or irrelevant content. It is important to carefully read and follow the guidelines before posting on any forum or community.

3. Can I appeal the "Substandard Quality" mark on my thread?

Yes, in most cases, you can appeal the "Substandard Quality" mark on your thread by contacting the forum or community moderators. They will review your thread and provide feedback on how you can improve it to meet the standards. However, it is important to note that not all appeals may be successful.

4. Will my thread be deleted if it is marked as "Substandard Quality"?

In most cases, your thread will not be automatically deleted if it is marked as "Substandard Quality". However, the moderators may request for you to edit and improve your thread to meet the standards. If your thread continues to be marked as "Substandard Quality" and does not meet the standards, it may eventually be deleted.

5. How can I avoid having my thread marked as "Substandard Quality" in the future?

To avoid having your thread marked as "Substandard Quality" in the future, it is important to carefully read and follow the guidelines set by the forum or community. Make sure to provide evidence and relevant information, avoid poor grammar and spelling, and stay on topic. It may also be helpful to read through other threads to get a better understanding of the community's standards.