1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My try

1. Feb 11, 2004 #1
    as far as i know about inductors i think it'll make an harmonic type of move...
    but it seems to make no sense
    can anyone help?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 12, 2004 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since you weren't very explicit as to what kind of circuit you are talking about, let's keep it simple: An LC circuit with a fully charged capacitor at t=0.

Now let the capacitor discharge through the inductor. What happens?

The voltage drop across the capacitor is EC=-q/C, and that across the inductor is EL=-L(di/dt)=-L(d2i/dt2). I will let q" (q-double-prime) denote the second time derivative of q from now on.

Kirchhoff's voltage law says that the sum of the voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must be zero. This is just the conservation of energy in disguse. So, we have:

The solution to this equation, with q(0)=Q and i(0)=q'(0)=0, is

where ω=(1/LC)1/2.

As you can see, the oscillatory behavior of q(t) is due to the combined influences of the element laws and the conservation of energy.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?