Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My UFO encounter

1. Sep 7, 2004 #1

mee

My "UFO" encounter

At the request of Ivan Seeking I am describing my UFO encounter. It was not very spectacular so sorry if anyone was expecting something dramatic. :) I was taking out the trash sometime around the early eighties when I looked up at the sky and saw something like a star moving across the sky. I watched it and notices that two other lights were moving across the sky as well. They were apparently equidistant from each other and heading towards a common point almost directly overhead. They came together into an isosceles triangle separated by about the width of an out-stretched adult hand when they stopped. They then reversed direction, without turning around, apparently, and headed back the way they had come. They did not appear to be helicopters and there was no noise. They seemed quite high up in the sky. There is an airforce base and a space institute near where this occurred. I know of no known aircraft that would act this way but I am not an expert. There you have it! :)

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2004 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Thanks mee. Many reports of lights in the sky "joining" can be attributed to refueling operations, but at first glance I don't know what to make of your observations.

4. Sep 9, 2004 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My best guess at a [relatively] prosaic explanation is that you saw some kind of military test. Just shooting from the hip here, maybe you saw an extreme maneuver to test a weapons or detection system. It these objects were high enough you may not have been able to discern details of the activities. For example, a tight loop may appear as an abrupt, 180 degree change in the observed motion. Also, helicopters can be very quiet, even at low altitude, so if they were high enough you may not be able to recognize the shapes or hear the engines.

Maybe you saw the Blue Angels practicing a close approach followed by a loop? :confused:

Thanks again. :smile:

5. Sep 9, 2004 #4
    One would think that you would HEAR them firstly. Also, didnt he say that they stopped? It doesnt make much sense to me that military training would consist of 3 planes flying into a triangular shape in the middle of the night, stopping for a minute, and then reversing opperations. But hey what do i know? :biggrin:

6. Sep 10, 2004 #5

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Of course I'm just pulling guesses out of thin air here, but I can imagine reasons why something like this might be done. So at the least, its not fair to say that no reason for activity like this could exist. Whether such reasons do exist, I have no idea.

7. Sep 10, 2004 #6

mee

One thing I have notices among some "ufo" encounters is that three often plays a significant role. Trangular shapes or three lights flying in formation. Is there any significance to the number three that someone would often use it?

8. Sep 10, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't know what if any significance is found but I agree with your observations. In fact, I have probably heard or read several hundred stories just like yours.

9. Sep 10, 2004 #8
    I just figured it out when i saw Ivans avatar! Hes an alien spy that is here to make sure that humans dont discover their secrets and try to make excuses for alien sightings. :bugeye:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?