1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My undergrad career is over

1. May 10, 2012 #1
    I took my last final tonight. Commencement is tomorrow. I have a B.S. Math, Physics Minor with a 3.5/3.6 GPA.

Thanks to everyone on this site who helped me with my homework over the years! It's appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2012 #2
    Congratulations!

Out of curiosity, do you have very specific memories of how you were when you had just joined? I find it pretty cool to go over old posts of mine occasionally (done it twice/thrice as of now) - just to see how my posting style changed, or if it changed at all.

4. May 11, 2012 #3

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Congrats!

5. May 11, 2012 #4
    Well, when I first joined I was a physics major, math minor. After taking some junior-level physics and math classes, I discovered that I enjoyed learning just the math much more. It was more my style. So, I swapped them, and I'm very glad I did. I'm sure my old posts are full of naivete. Haha.

6. May 11, 2012 #5
    Congratulations! :smile:

I'm on my way to it!

7. May 11, 2012 #6
    That is sooo awesome. You are a beast. Especially with that gpa. So beastly!

8. May 11, 2012 #7
    Congratz I will be starting my bachelor in summer so hopefully I have fun aswell learning :).

9. May 11, 2012 #8

turbo

Gold Member

@ OP. Good on you! Do well in your life, and still come back here for hints and tips.

10. May 11, 2012 #9

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Many congratulations!!

11. May 11, 2012 #10

Dembadon

Gold Member

Congratulations! Be sure to come back and let us know where you end up: grad school, industry, etc.

12. May 11, 2012 #11

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Congrats Shackleford :approve: I still remember that feeling!

13. May 11, 2012 #12

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Congrats :approve:!

(I hate to say this, but when I saw the title of this thread, I expected "I just got a B- on a quiz, my entire academic career is trashed!" Note that I had that reaction *before* I saw who the poster was :smile:.)

14. May 11, 2012 #13

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Oh, don't be such a wet blanket.

Congratulations, Shackleford!

15. May 12, 2012 #14
    Thanks for the congratulations. Commencement went well last night. After dinner, an extremely severe thunderstorm rolled through the area, so driving home was a challenge. In fact, I couldn't make it home because the water was so high in my subdivision. I had to stay the night at my brother's.

I wish I had only one B- in my courses! My final overall GPA is 3.579. My math GPA is a bit higher. I got one B in math (probability) and the rest were mostly "A"s and a few "A-"s. My physics grades weren't that great, though (B+, B+, B, B-, and C in quantum).

16. May 12, 2012 #15
    Great job. What's the next step?

17. May 12, 2012 #16
    Stay at my current job while I look for something higher-paying and also consider graduate school and how exactly to pay for it.

18. May 12, 2012 #17

atyy

Science Advisor

BTW, how does one read a GPA? Is it 3.6 out of 4 or 5?

19. May 12, 2012 #18
    Congratulations for the graduation !

Usually one does not need to pay. Most graduate schools provide funding for Ph.D students.

20. May 12, 2012 #19
    Depending on whether he does or doesn't live in the USA, he might have to go for his MSc first. It's not usual for those to be funded by schools.

21. May 12, 2012 #20
    Typically, it's out of 4.

Yes. I'm in the U.S. I don't plan on getting a Ph.D. I'm looking at master's programs. Since I have a job, I don't want to quit it just to get funding for graduate school as a TA or RA.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook