How should I handle my university dropping me from a crucial course?

• Schools
  • Thread starter QuarkCharmer
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary: Do you want the course dropped? Do you want them to waive the prerequisites? Do you want them to let you do the lab at a different time? In summary, our student was dropped from a course due to a professor change and will have to miss a semester of class. He is considering complaining to the science department and financial aid/student affairs.
QuarkCharmer
I am always on top of my schedule. I use the GI bill to pay for school, and it is based on time, so it is crucial that I finish my undergraduate degree in a small amount of time. This requires proper course planning as you can imagine.

As soon as my registration opens, I pick my classes. I do this so I can get the classes I need, and ensure that I am not stuck with one of the miserable professors of which my university keeps on staff.

Just today I got an email saying that I will be dropped from a course that I need because of a change in the professors schedule. There are no other courses available and my school does NOT allow sit-ins until the withdraw deadline for courses that have a corequisite lab component. I'm basically not going to be able to take the course, and they dropped me from it well after every other one filled up.

Is it worth complaining to the science department? How should I handle this? It's going to set me behind by a whole semester at best, and that's hoping the class is even offered in the fall. What do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
Talk to them to see if they can squeeze you into one of the other classes that are full, explain your situation and that you can loose your GI bill if you don't finish your degree in time.

Our academic adviser also taught a few of the basic classes which were prereqs for everything else in the major and understood how badly people needed to get in, otherwise it could set them back an entire year. He would override the computer and put in a few extra people in his classes, sometimes we had to grab extra chairs from other rooms.

At my university, if a class fills up you can get an override from the professor teaching it as long as they approve and there are enough physical seats in the class for you. So I would go to a professor teaching another section of the class and do this if you can.

Yeah, normally this would not be an issue, I could get an override for it. However, this course is a lab and lecture in one. You can't do the course without the lab, or sign up for the lab at another time. It's a class size of 20 simply because the majority of the course revolves around the lab which is limited to 20 by some regulation. :(

Well then you should ask your department/professors/adviser what to do.

QuarkCharmer said:
Just today I got an email saying that I will be dropped from a course that I need because of a change in the professors schedule. There are no other courses available and my school does NOT allow sit-ins until the withdraw deadline for courses that have a corequisite lab component. I'm basically not going to be able to take the course, and they dropped me from it well after every other one filled up.

Is it worth complaining to the science department? How should I handle this? It's going to set me behind by a whole semester at best, and that's hoping the class is even offered in the fall. What do I do?

At my institution, these situations are handled by the Dean's office. I would start there- and *definitely* speak with the financial aid/student affairs folks as well.

I never heard of a case like this not being resolved. But you have to ask the right people, not just cry at the winds.

QuarkCharmer said:
lab which is limited to 20 by some regulation.

Or the amount of lab equipment available.

jtbell said:
Or the amount of lab equipment available.
Or the number of physical lab-stations available. That would be a tough one to overcome. 20 lab-sinks = 20 students unless the school allows doubling-up, which might be prejudicial to the single students who have to do all their own lab-work AND take all their lab-notes and write them up.

mathwonk said:
I never heard of a case like this not being resolved. But you have to ask the right people, not just cry at the winds.

I agree. I think you also need to figure out what you want the remedy to be.

1. What should I do if my university has made a mistake that negatively affects me?

If your university has made a mistake that has negatively affected you, it is important to document the issue and gather evidence to support your claim. You should then bring this issue to the attention of the appropriate department or administrator at your university. If necessary, you may also want to seek advice from a lawyer or other legal professional.

2. Can I file a complaint against my university for screwing me over?

Yes, you can file a complaint against your university if you believe you have been treated unfairly or if their actions have caused harm to you. You may need to follow a specific procedure or submit a formal complaint to the appropriate department or governing body at your university.

3. How can I protect myself from future mistakes or issues with my university?

To protect yourself from future mistakes or issues with your university, it is important to thoroughly read and understand your university's policies and procedures. Stay organized and keep track of important documents and communications. If you have concerns or questions, don't hesitate to reach out to your university's administration for clarification.

4. Will my university compensate me for their mistake?

This will depend on the specific circumstances of the mistake and the policies of your university. In some cases, the university may offer compensation or make efforts to rectify the situation. It is important to communicate your concerns and grievances with the appropriate department at your university to explore potential options for compensation.

5. Can I take legal action against my university for screwing me over?

If you believe that your university has caused significant harm or damage to you, you may have a legal case. However, it is important to consult with a lawyer or legal professional to understand the potential options and outcomes of taking legal action against your university. It is also important to consider the potential impact on your education and future relationship with the university.