1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My university's Physics dept. does not require Linear Algebra or Diff Eq courses.

1. Sep 1, 2012 #1
    Upon completion of Calculus III (multivariable), we go right into the course using the Mary Boas book "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences." Having flipped through the book and comparing it to a Linear Algebra+Diff Eq text, it seems like many topics have been left out in the Boas book (just comparing sections at a quick glance).

While I do trust the program outline, will what's covered in the Boas text truly be sufficient to cover material in these texts we'll be using for upper division courses?:
    "Classical Dynamics of Particles and Systems"- Thornton and Marion
    "Introduction to Electrodynamics"- Griffiths
    "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics"- Griffiths

Edit: I deeply apologize, I just saw this thread in a search: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=620131

Last edited: Sep 1, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted