Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My USB transcend not opening?

1. Oct 5, 2007 #1
    I recently bought Transcend USB storage JF 30 initially it was really good and I can able to copy or paste in it. Now what happenned when i insert into the usb port my operating system recognize it then i immediately went inside My computer and double clicked the REmovable disk drive its not opening. I dont know what is the exact problem why it is behaving like that, Im now opening my usb by right click only, yesterday that has also some problems , if you right click the removable disk you will see the options like "Open" "AutoPlay" SEarch etc. But now i see unicode characters please help me in this issue how to get back my usb storage into normal.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2007 #2
    Did you do anything to your system in the time from when it went from working to not working?
  4. Dec 6, 2007 #3
    I'd try updating the chipset drivers for your motherboard, typically most boards have two chips ( North Bridge and Southbridge) the Southbridge chip is what helps control the USB ports.
  5. Dec 6, 2007 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you're seeing funny characters in your filenames, it probably means the filesystem on the device is damaged -- probably beyond repair. I would advise reformatting the device, and avoid storing anything important on it. If it continues to have problems, it should be replaced.

- Warren
  6. Dec 6, 2007 #5

Try it in another PC first. It's not always the device itself. At the least, backup the drive before formatting.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?