1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My Vector Enigma

1. Sep 3, 2006 #1
    My question follows off of the picture attached.

I have been able to answer both questions, but I still have questions of my own.

I had to solve them geometrically using the Law of Cosines and the Law of Sines...why is it that I am not able to break it into components using the trig functions?

Surely it has something to do with the axes not being perpendicular..but what exactly?

As far as the u axis goes...it's just a direction, independent of v, so I don't understand why I cannot solve it using trig functions multiplied by the magnitude.

The answer for the second problem, is about 205 N via the Law of Sines:

Fx = (300*sin(40))/sin(110)

Why can't I simply do cos(30)*300 ?

And when I try to implement a normal perpendicular system, I still get the wrong components. What am I doing wrong?

And how would you solve this analytically with trig functions and not geometrically?

Thank you so much guys.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2006 #2
    Also if I shift the bottom axis over 20 degrees to make it perpendicular, and try cos(25)*500 to get the y component, and cos(30)*300 to get the x, then use both to get the magnitude, I actually get a different magnitude than I would have using the Law of Cosines.

It's a bit less.

Not understanding why either.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?