Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My weight cancels out the normal force from the floor

1. Jan 9, 2005 #1
    If I'm standing on the ground and at the same time leaning on a wall, what are the forces acting on me? My weight cancels out the normal force from the floor, but what cancels out the force exerted on me by the wall, say horizontally, so as to make the sum of the forces 0? Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2005 #2

In your feet you have two reaction forces. One normal force because you are standing on the ground (due to gravity) and one that is directed horizontally in the opposite direction (towards the origin of the reference frame if you will) because of friction between your shoes and the ground. Otherwise, you would fall over. Then in your center of mass you have gravity working in onto you. At the point where you touch the wall you will have two reactionforces again. One horizontal (otherwise you would breake the wall and fall through it) and one force pointed upwards due to friction. Otherwise you would slide down...

regards
    marlon

4. Jan 9, 2005 #3
    Normally the vertical friction force at the wall is disregarded...

marlon, just as an addendum

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?