Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My weight loss plan!

1. Feb 22, 2004 #1
    I have the next new wonder-fad in weight loss:

The Smoker's Weight Loss Plan(tm)!

Everyone knows that smoking can make you lose weight. My plan calls for smoking at least 2 packs per day. You'll be shedding the pounds in no time! (Whether fat or muscle)

Sure, it makes you stink. Sure, it causes cancer. Sure, it causes heart disease. So, that should put it on par with Atkins and other low-carb diets.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2004 #2
    That's kind of like the weight-loss plan that involves amputation of nonvital appendages.

cookiemonster

4. Feb 23, 2004 #3
    Lets see, you would need guarantee that it works right? anyone know how to spell L-A-W-S-U-I-T for Non performance of product claim...Smoked for years and had easily been able to gain weight while smoking, had a little bit of a problem losing it, well, not really, ~2500 Kms (~1500 Miles) on a bicycle in ~34 days did the trick quite nicely, waaaaaaaay better then smoking ever could!

5. Feb 23, 2004 #4

Kerrie

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

i think you have incorrect information...smoking doesn't cause you to lose weight, but you can expect to gain weight once you quit...

6. Feb 23, 2004 #5
    I agree, as that was, sorta, what I was making, as a point. I had gotten Fatter, myself, while a smoker, it means nothing to weight to smoke...slight loss of appetite (perhaps) which can easily be overcome...as for the quitting part, I've no idea of that ones effects, least not yet, not in an environment, or situation, of my life, that would be condusive to quitting smoking, cheese!

7. Feb 23, 2004 #6

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

How about healthy eating and some exercise?

8. Feb 23, 2004 #7

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Smoking also causes decreased lung capacity, resulting in being out of breath, leading to taking the elevator or car, effectively decreasing exercise levels, slowing metabolism and ultimately giving weight gain

9. Feb 23, 2004 #8
    He, smoking makes you lose weight, one lung each pack!

10. Feb 23, 2004 #9

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Actually, the tar would make you gain weight

11. Feb 23, 2004 #10
    Re: Re: My weight loss plan!

GREAT Idea!! and No Smoking!

12. Feb 23, 2004 #11
    This is exactly right, and describes what is happening to me the older I get. Still smoking and decreased tolerance for excercise, leading to more sitting around. Getting a gut. Internet is the clincher. Why leave the house anymore when I can access people from all over the world from home?

13. Feb 23, 2004 #12
    psshhht, whatever doesn't kill you,makes you stronger.
    Sooooo, smoke and run, smoke and run. Then stop smoking and your lungs will be so strong!! You'll be able to run forever!

14. Feb 24, 2004 #13
    Did everyone miss my scathing criticism?

15. Feb 24, 2004 #14

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We just like to be difficult

16. Feb 24, 2004 #15

ShawnD

Science Advisor

People say smoking causes weight loss but I haven't seen anything proving that claim. The vast majority of women I see smoking are overweight. I only know the stats on women because I'm not looking at smokers; I'm looking at women .

17. Feb 25, 2004 #16
    I really don't know the effects of smoking on weight. It's just hearsay. But that isn't the point. Replace smoking with some comparably bad thing that causes weight loss. Perhaps constantly getting fevers.

My point was about the Atkins Diet and other low-carb diets...

18. Feb 25, 2004 #17

ShawnD

Science Advisor

What you said wasn't exactly 100% true in the first post. You said low carb diets cause heart problems and things like that. That show 20/20 looked at the atkins diet once. People on it did indeed lose weight, but the thing more interesting was the change in cholesterol. People on that diet had higher amounts of good cholester (which is a good thing) but also had higher amounts of bad cholester (bad thing). It was not exactly determined whether the diet was healthy or not because the affects of the good cholesterol sort of cancel out the bad.

19. Feb 25, 2004 #18
    As has already been noted, it is a slight appetite suppressant....cigarettes that is...

20. Feb 25, 2004 #19

ShawnD

Science Advisor

They should try coke, aparently it's a really strong suppresant (sp?)

21. Feb 25, 2004 #20
    The thing about the atkins is that it may have some weird short-term effects, but long term, it is going to increase cholesterol. It's going to increase risk of heart disease, cardiovascular disease, kidney failure, and several types of cancer, including colon cancer.

People who go low-carb generally have high extremely intakes of saturated fat and cholesterol, which contribute to heart and cardiovascular problems. The animal protein contributes to cancer.

I just find it funny that people will believe anything, like "carbs are bad". Carbohydrates are not bad. They're essential to good health. They are the preferred source of food for the brain. If you replace most of your carbs with fat, that means that you are getting wayyyyy too much fat. The same goes for protein, although it would be really hard to up your dose of protein enough to replace carb intake, except maybe with protein supplements. Also, I'm willing to be that most weight loss in these programs is due to reduced caloric intake (no bun, drink only water, etc.), rather than type of calories. After all, the thermic value of fat is way lower than that of complex carbohydrates, meaning that less percentage of the total food intake has to be burned to store fat as fat than to store carbs as fat.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?