What caused the whirlwind at Schlitterbahn Waterpark in Galveston, Texas?

• Thread starter Math Is Hard
  • Start date
In summary, a family trip to Schlitterbahn Waterpark turned into an unexpected adventure when a whirlwind created a "hurricane effect" in the wave pool. The excitement and chaos of flying innertubes and intense winds made for a memorable ride. The group even joked about creating a disaster-themed amusement park.
Math Is Hard
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I went with my family yesterday to the Schlitterbahn Waterpark in Galveston, Texas. Around noon I was swimming around in the wave pool, when all of a sudden I was hit by a fierce wind, and water starting spraying me hard. I heard the lifeguard whistles blowing, and people screaming, and innertubes started flying from over head down into the pool. It seemed as if the staff sitting on the wall high above were tossing innertubes down at us.

The wind and waterspray intensified, almost knocking me over, and I thought, "This is freakin' cool! They have some kind of neat-o hurricane effect here!" Then the innertubes were flying around me and hitting me in the face. I thought, "Gee, as fun as this is, it might be dangerous for the little kids in the pool." The next thing I saw were nearby innertubes floating on the water suddenly being lifted up and launched 10 and 20 feet in the air. It was really cool, and I wondered how the heck they created such an effect.

When it was over, I ran to find my mom and sister, who had been to the waterpark before, to ask them how often they did the "hurricane effect".

(I wanted to be there when they did it again!)

They had seen everything, and it turns out, this was nothing the park staff had done. A whirlwind had come through and made a little waterspout over the wave pool. They saw it moving across sucking up the water and innertubes (but luckily, no toddlers!) as it went.

What a trip! Best "ride" in the park, courtesy of Mother Nature!

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a great story! I remember getting hit with dust devils when I was a kid, but those were nothing compared to that.

A whirlwind water park. hmm It's only a matter of time.:cool:

The dust devils here fill my pool with: junk, tumble weeds, and dirt. At the same time they blow everything in the pool out. I once found my air matress three blocks away.

Hmmmm, how to make whirlwinds for MIHs enjoyment.

Did anyone videotape it?

I'm saying, if me, MIH and Wolram all meet, it might be the end of the world.

Wolram, can I come live with you?

Evo said:
Did anyone videotape it?

I'm saying, if me, MIH and Wolram all meet, it might be the end of the world.

Wolram, can I come live with you?
Maybe, if we flipped our wings in unison we would have good fortune, lol.

Sounds like a fun ride!

Very Interesting. I've seen water spouts while offshore (fishing or working), but nothing close to shore. I only live about 45 min to an hour North along the coast from Galveston and we hardly see any dust devils here either.

My wife and I almost went down to Galveston this weekend, but knew with it being so hot that there would be mobs of people.

Dang tourists :tongue:

edward said:
A whirlwind water park. hmm It's only a matter of time.:cool:

The dust devils here fill my pool with: junk, tumble weeds, and dirt. At the same time they blow everything in the pool out. I once found my air matress three blocks away.

How about an amusement park that features all sorts of natural disasters? That would be awesome!

There would be the earthquake attractions, like driving on a suspension bridge during an 8.5 quake. Tsunami Land, featuring rafting down a street while clinging to a bicycle tire. Ooooh, and locust and frog swarms, lol!

lisab said:
How about an amusement park that features all sorts of natural disasters? That would be awesome!

There would be the earthquake attractions, like driving on a suspension bridge during an 8.5 quake. Tsunami Land, featuring rafting down a street while clinging to a bicycle tire. Ooooh, and locust and frog swarms, lol!
A disaster theme park! Evo World!

I still can't stop laughing about MIH's experience.

If Evo had been there, I am pretty sure it would have been much stronger, and the two of us would have been airborne.

lisab said:

I love it.

Math Is Hard said:
If Evo had been there, I am pretty sure it would have been much stronger, and the two of us would have been airborne.
Flying nuns. :tongue:

Math Is Hard said:
But then, like Dorothy, she wouldn't be in Kansas anymore.

Evo said:
Flying nuns. :tongue:

Exactly! :biggrin:

I used to watch that show religiously. (no pun intended) o:)

turbo-1 said:
But then, like Dorothy, she wouldn't be in Kansas anymore.

And she would then say, of course,

"Ricco, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore."

Evo said:
A disaster theme park! Evo World!

I still can't stop laughing about MIH's experience.

I can just see the ads.

Evo World: Paramedics on location at all times for your convenience. Medevac available for extra charge.

Very cool. I've just added something new to experience to the bucket list.

1. What is the purpose of "My wild waterpark adventure"?

The purpose of "My wild waterpark adventure" is to provide an entertaining and thrilling experience for visitors. It combines the excitement of water rides with the beauty of nature to create a unique and unforgettable adventure.

2. How is "My wild waterpark adventure" environmentally friendly?

"My wild waterpark adventure" is designed to have minimal impact on the environment. The park uses energy-efficient systems, recycled water, and sustainable materials in its construction. It also promotes environmental awareness and conservation through educational programs and activities.

3. What safety measures are in place at "My wild waterpark adventure"?

The park has strict safety protocols in place to ensure the well-being of all its visitors. This includes trained lifeguards on duty at all times, regular maintenance and inspection of rides, and safety instructions and guidelines posted throughout the park.

4. Are there any age or height restrictions for the rides at "My wild waterpark adventure"?

Yes, there are age and height restrictions for certain rides at the park. These restrictions are in place for the safety of all visitors, and they are strictly enforced. Please refer to the park's website or ask a staff member for more information.

5. Can I bring my own food and drinks to "My wild waterpark adventure"?

Outside food and drinks are not allowed at "My wild waterpark adventure". However, the park offers a variety of food options for purchase, including healthy and vegetarian options. Visitors may also bring their own reusable water bottles to refill at designated water stations throughout the park.