Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

My wisdom tooth is killing me!

1. Jul 27, 2005 #1
    I think that I got an infection because of one of my lower wisdom teeth. I can barely open my jaw. The entire right side of my face hurts. I didn't get any sleep last night. :frown:

Did any of you have problems with your wisdom teeth?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2005 #2

Staff: Mentor

The gum around one of mine swelled up a few months ago - it's way of announcing that it was on the move. It is now starting to come in (I'm 29). Picture forthcoming....
  4. Jul 27, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 21. That was a relief.
  5. Jul 27, 2005 #4

Bah i scoff at your pain, read the thread i just started and find out what real pain is!
  6. Jul 27, 2005 #5
    Did you go to a dentist?

My wisdom teeth just started growing and they're already giving me trouble.

My father just came home, looked at my tooth and concluded that it's not infected. Anyway, I'm going to see a dentist tomorrow morning.
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
  7. Jul 27, 2005 #6

Gold Member

Good idea. :biggrin: I've had severe toothaches - don't be afraid to ask for pain medication if you're in pain and they don't offer it. Hope you feel better. :smile:
  8. Jul 27, 2005 #7

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just go to the orthodontist or dentist and get those wisdom teeth removed. They have no function whatsoever and are only annoying. I got mine removed years ago and never had to deal with the hassle. My other teeth also have more room now so they won't grow sideways.
  9. Jul 27, 2005 #8

Staff: Mentor

Gum infections can be serious, especially if the bacteria enter the blood stream and collect in the heart. Some bacteria can damage heart valves or heart muscle.

It is wise to see a dentist when one has a toothache, especially if the gum is swollen (possibly abscessed) or the ache keeps one awake.

I only had one wisdom tooth - which was removed about the time I was 18.

For those 21 and younger, it is wise to see a dentist once a year in order to monitor things like wisdom teeth.

If one has good dental hygiene, then visits to the dentist may be less frequent after 21.
  10. Jul 27, 2005 #9
    I always do. :biggrin: And thanks.

Well, if it is infected they can't remove it. Otherwise out it goes.

:eek: No need to tell me twice. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac as it is. :smile:
  11. Jul 27, 2005 #10
    I didn't have enough room in my mouth for mine, so they were removed befor they broke the gum when I was 16.
  12. Jul 27, 2005 #11

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That sounds excessive. People can have a lot of pain when their wisdom teeth emerge, but I don't think it should be that bad. I don't know. All 4 of mine were impacted, although two came up at an angle that they did break the gum, but never bothered me much, maybe just a little annoying sometimes when they irritated the gum; 2 others never emerged and were pushing against the other molars, so I had all 4 removed at once. After they were removed, my jaw muscles ached a bit from them prying my mouth open wide enough to get at them, and the stitches in my gums where they had to surgically get after the two that never emerged were pretty annoying, but that was about it. I ended up flushing the prescription of vicodin they gave me...I never needed any pain killers at all. But I'm not totally normal about that sort of stuff...I walked around on a sprained ankle with nothing but a few ibuprofen to take the edge off.
  13. Jul 27, 2005 #12

I'm getting them out in nine days. The dentist or whatever says I shouldn't have too much pain as a lot of people do.

I don't even really need to get them out right now but my parents' full dental insurance stops when I turn 19 (Early September) so they want me to get them out before they have to pay anything!

14. Jul 28, 2005 #13
    Might as well do it all at once, get it over with. Your young and will heal quickly.
    To be fair, my entire face swelled up for days after I got mine out. I wasen't in a lot of pain after, but there was some slight discomfort the fist 24 hours and I took some meds for it.
  15. Jul 29, 2005 #14
    Well, anyway... I was diagnosed with pericoronitis and an impacted wisdom tooth. My blood tests were good considering I have an infection. In fact, my sedementation rate is within normal indicating that I have a very good immune system. :biggrin: I'm on antibiotics now and the pain is almost completly gone. I'm going to have the tooth extracted as soon as the infection passes.
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2005
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?