Trouble with Wisdom Teeth? Infection and Pain Relief Strategies

• Thread starter Berislav
  • Start date
In summary: I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 21. That was a relief. My wisdom teeth just started growing and they're already giving me trouble. P.S.My father just came home, looked at my tooth and concluded that it's not infected. Anyway, I'm going to see a dentist tomorrow morning.That sounds like a sensible plan. If you have good dental hygiene, then visits to the dentist may be less frequent after 21.If one has good dental hygiene, then visits to the dentist may be less frequent after 21. Good advice. If it is infected they can't remove it.Otherwise out it goes.
Berislav
I think that I got an infection because of one of my lower wisdom teeth. I can barely open my jaw. The entire right side of my face hurts. I didn't get any sleep last night. :frown:

Did any of you have problems with your wisdom teeth?

Physics news on Phys.org
The gum around one of mine swelled up a few months ago - it's way of announcing that it was on the move. It is now starting to come in (I'm 29). Picture forthcoming...

I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 21. That was a relief.

Berislav said:
I think that I got an infection because of one of my lower wisdom teeth. I can barely open my jaw. The entire right side of my face hurts. I didn't get any sleep last night. :frown:

Bah i scoff at your pain, read the thread i just started and find out what real pain is!

russ watters said:
The gum around one of mine swelled up a few months ago - it's way of announcing that it was on the move. It is now starting to come in (I'm 29). Picture forthcoming...
Did you go to a dentist?

arildno said:
I had my wisdom teeth removed when I was 21. That was a relief.
My wisdom teeth just started growing and they're already giving me trouble.

P.S.
My father just came home, looked at my tooth and concluded that it's not infected. Anyway, I'm going to see a dentist tomorrow morning.

Last edited:
Berislav said:
Anyway, I'm going to see a dentist tomorrow morning.
Good idea. :biggrin: I've had severe toothaches - don't be afraid to ask for pain medication if you're in pain and they don't offer it. Hope you feel better. :smile:

Just go to the orthodontist or dentist and get those wisdom teeth removed. They have no function whatsoever and are only annoying. I got mine removed years ago and never had to deal with the hassle. My other teeth also have more room now so they won't grow sideways.

Gum infections can be serious, especially if the bacteria enter the blood stream and collect in the heart. Some bacteria can damage heart valves or heart muscle.

It is wise to see a dentist when one has a toothache, especially if the gum is swollen (possibly abscessed) or the ache keeps one awake.

I only had one wisdom tooth - which was removed about the time I was 18.

For those 21 and younger, it is wise to see a dentist once a year in order to monitor things like wisdom teeth.

If one has good dental hygiene, then visits to the dentist may be less frequent after 21.

honestrosewater said:
Good idea. I've had severe toothaches - don't be afraid to ask for pain medication if you're in pain and they don't offer it. Hope you feel better.
I always do. :biggrin: And thanks.

Galileo said:
Just go to the orthodontist or dentist and get those wisdom teeth removed.
Well, if it is infected they can't remove it. Otherwise out it goes.

Gum infections can be serious, especially if the bacteria enter the blood stream and collect in the heart. Some bacteria can damage heart valves or heart muscle.
:eek: No need to tell me twice. I'm a bit of a hypochondriac as it is. :smile:

I didn't have enough room in my mouth for mine, so they were removed befor they broke the gum when I was 16.

Berislav said:

That sounds excessive. People can have a lot of pain when their wisdom teeth emerge, but I don't think it should be that bad. I don't know. All 4 of mine were impacted, although two came up at an angle that they did break the gum, but never bothered me much, maybe just a little annoying sometimes when they irritated the gum; 2 others never emerged and were pushing against the other molars, so I had all 4 removed at once. After they were removed, my jaw muscles ached a bit from them prying my mouth open wide enough to get at them, and the stitches in my gums where they had to surgically get after the two that never emerged were pretty annoying, but that was about it. I ended up flushing the prescription of vicodin they gave me...I never needed any pain killers at all. But I'm not totally normal about that sort of stuff...I walked around on a sprained ankle with nothing but a few ibuprofen to take the edge off.

I'm getting them out in nine days. The dentist or whatever says I shouldn't have too much pain as a lot of people do.

I don't even really need to get them out right now but my parents' full dental insurance stops when I turn 19 (Early September) so they want me to get them out before they have to pay anything!

:yuck:

Might as well do it all at once, get it over with. Your young and will heal quickly.
To be fair, my entire face swelled up for days after I got mine out. I wasen't in a lot of pain after, but there was some slight discomfort the fist 24 hours and I took some meds for it.

Well, anyway... I was diagnosed with pericoronitis and an impacted wisdom tooth. My blood tests were good considering I have an infection. In fact, my sedementation rate is within normal indicating that I have a very good immune system. :biggrin: I'm on antibiotics now and the pain is almost completely gone. I'm going to have the tooth extracted as soon as the infection passes.

Last edited:

1. How do I know if my wisdom tooth is causing the pain?

The most common symptom of a problematic wisdom tooth is pain or discomfort in the back of the mouth. You may also experience swelling, redness, or difficulty opening your mouth.

2. What can I do to relieve the pain from my wisdom tooth?

Over-the-counter pain relievers such as ibuprofen or acetaminophen can help to temporarily alleviate the pain. Applying a cold compress to the affected area can also provide some relief. It is important to see a dentist for a proper evaluation and treatment plan.

3. Do I need to have my wisdom tooth removed?

It depends on the severity of the issue. If the pain is caused by an infection or impacted wisdom tooth, removal may be necessary. Your dentist will be able to assess the situation and make a recommendation based on your specific case.

4. How long does it take to recover from wisdom tooth extraction?

The recovery time can vary, but it typically takes around 1-2 weeks. During this time, you may experience swelling, pain, and difficulty opening your mouth. It is important to follow your dentist's post-extraction care instructions to ensure proper healing.

5. Can I prevent my wisdom tooth from causing pain in the future?

Unfortunately, there is no guaranteed way to prevent wisdom tooth pain. However, maintaining good oral hygiene and regularly visiting your dentist can help to identify any potential issues early on. If your wisdom teeth are causing problems, your dentist may recommend extraction to prevent future pain and complications.