Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Myself introduces I

1. Oct 7, 2014 #1
    Just found the new member discussion. My life is not very interesting. I was a nuclear reactor operator in the US Navy. After leaving the Navy, I made a ton of mistakes with my life, including acquiring a heroin addiction which drug (no pun intended) out for several years. I was recently diagnosed as being on the Autism Spectrum. I have discovered a new found love of mathematics. One of my life goals is to solve the P vs. NP problem and win the Millennial prize of one million dollars. I truly believe that P does indeed equal NP and I want to prove it.

Let's see. What else? I've lived most of my life in Michigan, but circumstances brought me to West Virginia and I absolutely hate it here. It's a very culturally oppressive part of the country and a spirit of anti-intellectualism and anti-art pervades here. I plan on moving to Philadelphia in the near future, in sha' Allah.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2014 #2
    That sounds very interesting! We have a nice nuclear engineering area here.

Non uncommon here :)

Looking forward to your discussions

I like Philly, lots of history!

4. Oct 7, 2014 #3
    Pleased to meet you, Greg!

5. Oct 7, 2014 #4
    About the P vs. NP problem: I've noticed that if a certain step is performed on the members of the set of numbers (in the subset sum problem), an important and relevant result follows. I don't want to be too specific because I get paranoid that someone will steal my idea and beat me to the Millennial prize.....haha. Whether or not this step can be translated to the other NP-complete problems I don't know. I'll have to get a textbook on computation theory.

6. Oct 7, 2014 #5

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

Hello David. I wuz an EO nuke but stayed in the community to retire as a NS 0989 028 5000 Shift Test Engineer. Unfortunately I am risk averse and have made few notable errors and only moderate success.

I believe your concern about competition is valid for a friend's experience. 'Uncle' Al Schwartz had a presence here.

Aleikhem shalom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Last edited: Oct 7, 2014
  7. Oct 7, 2014 #6
    Hi, Doug. Thanks for responding. I myself made terrible choices for my life right when I got out of the Navy 13 years ago. I never made applications to plants or anywhere else in the nuclear field. I think it's been too long since training for me to do anything career-wise at this point. Actually, I was an MM, but it's more simple to say "reactor operator" since nobody would know what I meant by "nuclear-rated machinist's mate" even if it's misleading.

8. Oct 7, 2014 #7

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi David

welcome aboard :)
    I have no idea about the " P vs. NP problem" without doing some googling, have no idea what field of physics it belongs to haha
    presumably not in the fields I dabble in ... geology, astronomy or electronics

cheers
    Dave

9. Oct 7, 2014 #8
    Thank you, davenn. The problem is in the field of algorithms and computation.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook