Mysterious Drones in Colorado and Nebraska

• Thread starter gleem
  • Start date
gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
In the last month up to sixteen drones have been spotted at night fly together. Commercial enterprises who use drones in the area deny any involvement with them. They fly in the restricted space designated for drone and do not require notification of the FAA. It has been reported that they are quite large (up to six feet?) although that might be in error. The particularly disturbing part is their origin has has not been determined and their low flight paths may be hard to track, I guess you could conjure up all manner of possibilities but it is hard to come up with a reasonable or legitimate purpose for doing this without notifying the public. One drone at night would be irritating but sixteen?

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/01/us/drones-FAA-colorado-nebraska.html

Answers and Replies

Bystander
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
It'll wind up being a "Google Earth" project. So, "Big Brother" is a competition among a variety of entities rather than a single totalitarian state.

gleem
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
I cannot remember if Google denied involvement and cannot find the post naming those who explicitly denied involvement. Why not tell people instead of letting them freak out. Also the armed force denied involvement if you wan to believe them. If they are that large I do not think it is some amateur drone organization having fun. The largest drone available to the general public has a span of 30 inches. https://dronepedia.xyz/largest-quadcopters/ although drones can be purchased much larger that can carry a person costing beaucuop bucks. which now begs the question where they manned.

berkeman
Mentor
I'm willing to bet that the local drone clubs will be sending out volunteers with their drones to intercept the swarm and get some pictures. Maybe even sell the video to TMZ to finance the next drone club pizza party! :smile:

Vanadium 50
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
2021 Award
Also the armed force denied involvement if you wan to believe them.

But that's just what you'd expect them to say, no? :wink:

Seriously, the military has plenty of places to test things away from prying eyes. Why go to Nebraska?

Likes russ_watters
berkeman
Mentor
Aaand, now we have a multi-agency task force set up to investigate...

https://abc7news.com/new-drone-task-force-investigating-mysterious-sightings/5819969/

1578408617468.png

Likes jim mcnamara