1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mysterious formula

1. Sep 28, 2013 #1
    Hi all, 'Im a newbie in physics. Studying the laws of wave mechanics and vectors. I ran across this formula "phi cos^2 + phi sin/^2".

I lost the source. Does anyone know its name? Thank!

Alicia

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2013 #2
    Looks weird to me. Are you sure you don't mean cos^2 (phi) + sin^2 (phi), that is cos2(phi) + sin2(phi) ?

4. Sep 28, 2013 #3
    Positive! Im working with wave equations relative to interdimensional travel. Cant find the site where I ran across this one. It's not a variant of Euler's. I think the Phi symbol was substituted in for a partial derivative somewhere.

5. Sep 28, 2013 #4
    Ok. I have no clue - the notation looks weird to me, I'm not familiar with it. I don't understand what cos^2 and sin/^2 means at all -there are no variables present in those expressions...:confused:

6. Sep 28, 2013 #5

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

We can't explain an incomplete equation from a dubious and misremembered source. Nobody can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook