Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mysterious Lights Videotaped Emerging From England Crop Formation

1. Jul 9, 2003 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

"Mysterious lights were videotaped emerging from the thirty-seven
    circles discovered in young wheat below the Ridgeway at Ogbourne St. George, Wiltshire, England, on Sunday, June 15, in a pattern nearly 600 feet in diameter."

http://www.earthfiles.com/news/news.cfm?ID=551&category=Environment

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2003 #2
    why arent physisets (i cant spell) working on these problems that we have very little answers to damn them they never do anything

4. Jul 15, 2003 #3
    Yeah, you're one to talk. Physicists (i CAN spell) are dedicated to SCIENCE. Physicists are working on much more important things like improving your way of life and answering how things work. Crop circles are a bunch of pranksters; that's all.

5. Jul 15, 2003 #4

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Since scientist studied crop circles over 50 years ago, and since this predated any publicity stunts or attention, you are drawing conclusions without having the facts. Let me suggest a thought:

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people are so full of doubts."---Bertrand Russell

6. Jul 15, 2003 #5
    Very true but the first time crop circles were reported was around WWII (I think?). I think alot of crazy propaganda put out at that time perpetuated until the present day (a bit like the carrots thing!). Im sure I read somthing about british intelligence in wwII thinking crop circles might of been some sort of marker for german bombers.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2003
  7. Jul 15, 2003 #6
    The implications of what some believe go into the creation of crop circles IS SCIENCE.

I also think that some lesser scientists, obviously not Stephen Hawking and such, should at least put some time into studying the phenomena, or the government should provide real-time video of the entire country down to a few square miles so we can witness the creation:wink:

8. Jul 16, 2003 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Amercan meteorologists in the 40s and 50s attributed these things to unusual wind vorticies. They had this idea of sideways wind funnels forming along hilltops. I guess many circles were found near the bases of a hills.

I had never heard that about WWII. Do you have any idea where you ran across this?

9. Jul 16, 2003 #8
    A guy called Nick Redfern who wrote a book called strange secrets about stuff from declassified intelligence documents. Here is a document http://www.steamshovelpress.com/latestword14.html do a search for 'crop circle' in it.

10. Jul 16, 2003 #9
  11. Jul 16, 2003 #10

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I feel that this is just a matter of perception and acceptance. Most any scientist would at least fear risking ridicule and career damage to pursue such mysteries at a professional level. I am not even promoting investigation. I only argue that mysteries do exist that merit investigation, and that any worthy pursuit of such should be considered good and acceptable science; on the same basis as any other fundamental research.

The stigma attached to such subjects act to prevent potential discoveries of value. One example of this is that of spires, sprites, and a few other similar upper atmospheric phenomena. Pilots have seen these things for years but were afraid to report them. Whenever they did, the sighting was lumped with UFOs and lead only to embarrassment. Then, NASA photographed a sprite. Lo and behold, now it is a hot new topic in atmospheric science.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?