Mysterious Lights Videotaped Emerging From England Crop Formation

In summary: However, if you had asked a scientist in the late 50s if sprites were real, they would have laughed at you. Originally posted by neutroncount
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
"Mysterious lights were videotaped emerging from the thirty-seven
circles discovered in young wheat below the Ridgeway at Ogbourne St. George, Wiltshire, England, on Sunday, June 15, in a pattern nearly 600 feet in diameter."

http://www.earthfiles.com/news/news.cfm?ID=551&category=Environment

Physics news on Phys.org
why arent physisets (i can't spell) working on these problems that we have very little answers to damn them they never do anything

Yeah, you're one to talk. Physicists (i CAN spell) are dedicated to SCIENCE. Physicists are working on much more important things like improving your way of life and answering how things work. Crop circles are a bunch of pranksters; that's all.

Originally posted by neutroncount
Crop circles are a bunch of pranksters; that's all.

Since scientist studied crop circles over 50 years ago, and since this predated any publicity stunts or attention, you are drawing conclusions without having the facts. Let me suggest a thought:

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people are so full of doubts."---Bertrand Russell

Very true but the first time crop circles were reported was around WWII (I think?). I think a lot of crazy propaganda put out at that time perpetuated until the present day (a bit like the carrots thing!). I am sure I read somthing about british intelligence in wwII thinking crop circles might of been some sort of marker for german bombers.

Last edited:
Originally posted by neutroncount
Yeah, you're one to talk. Physicists (i CAN spell) are dedicated to SCIENCE. Physicists are working on much more important things like improving your way of life and answering how things work. Crop circles are a bunch of pranksters; that's all.

The implications of what some believe go into the creation of crop circles IS SCIENCE.

I also think that some lesser scientists, obviously not Stephen Hawking and such, should at least put some time into studying the phenomena, or the government should provide real-time video of the entire country down to a few square miles so we can witness the creation:wink:

Originally posted by username
Very true but the first time crop circles were reported was around WWII (I think?). I think a lot of crazy propaganda put out at that time perpetuated until the present day (a bit like the carrots thing!). I am sure I read somthing about british intelligence in wwII thinking crop circles might of been some sort of marker for german bombers.

Amercan meteorologists in the 40s and 50s attributed these things to unusual wind vorticies. They had this idea of sideways wind funnels forming along hilltops. I guess many circles were found near the bases of a hills.

I had never heard that about WWII. Do you have any idea where you ran across this?

Do you have any idea where you ran across this?
A guy called Nick Redfern who wrote a book called strange secrets about stuff from declassified intelligence documents. Here is a document http://www.steamshovelpress.com/latestword14.html do a search for 'crop circle' in it.

This sounds quite interesting as well http://www.majesticdocuments.com/wwwboard/messages/134.html guess it would be easy enough to verify.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally posted by kyle_soule
The implications of what some believe go into the creation of crop circles IS SCIENCE.

I also think that some lesser scientists, obviously not Stephen Hawking and such, should at least put some time into studying the phenomena, or the government should provide real-time video of the entire country down to a few square miles so we can witness the creation:wink:

I feel that this is just a matter of perception and acceptance. Most any scientist would at least fear risking ridicule and career damage to pursue such mysteries at a professional level. I am not even promoting investigation. I only argue that mysteries do exist that merit investigation, and that any worthy pursuit of such should be considered good and acceptable science; on the same basis as any other fundamental research.

The stigma attached to such subjects act to prevent potential discoveries of value. One example of this is that of spires, sprites, and a few other similar upper atmospheric phenomena. Pilots have seen these things for years but were afraid to report them. Whenever they did, the sighting was lumped with UFOs and lead only to embarrassment. Then, NASA photographed a sprite. Lo and behold, now it is a hot new topic in atmospheric science.

1. What are these "Mysterious Lights" in the crop formation?

The "Mysterious Lights" in the crop formation are most likely caused by a natural phenomenon known as ball lightning. This is a rare occurrence where a ball of light is created during a thunderstorm and can travel along the ground or through the air before disappearing.

2. How were these lights captured on video?

The lights were most likely captured on video using a camera with a long exposure setting. This allows for more light to be captured and can result in the appearance of streaks or orbs of light.

3. Could these lights be a hoax?

While it is always possible for someone to create a hoax, there is no evidence to suggest that this video is not authentic. The witnesses who captured the footage seem genuine and there have been other documented cases of ball lightning in the past.

4. Is there any scientific explanation for these lights?

As mentioned earlier, the most likely explanation for these lights is ball lightning. However, without further analysis or investigation, it is difficult to say for certain what caused them.

5. Could these lights be extraterrestrial in origin?

While it is fun to speculate about extraterrestrial life, there is no evidence to suggest that these lights are of alien origin. It is important to approach any mysterious phenomenon with a scientific mindset and consider all possible explanations before jumping to conclusions.

Back