Mysterious 'stealth' boat plying Columbia River

In summary, a "stealth" boat is a watercraft designed to evade detection and is often used for military purposes. The specific reason for this boat plying the Columbia River is unknown, but it could be for military exercises, surveillance, or commercial purposes. These boats use advanced technology and design features to minimize detection. It is difficult to determine if this specific boat is a threat, but "stealth" boats are generally not designed to be aggressive. There are no specific regulations for using a "stealth" boat, but it must follow local laws and regulations for safe operation.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Now where have I heard about this before...? :rolleyes:

PORTLAND, Ore. - People who are used to seeing a variety of boats moving up and down the calm waters of the Columbia River have recently reported seeing a UFO- of sorts.

But it is not a visitor from beyond our planet, although the shape of this particular Unidentified Floating Object has a definite other-worldly look to it. Some people are calling it a 'stealth boat' [continued]

http://www.katu.com/stories/78092.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Its james bonds boat!

Hmmm, a mysterious stealth boat on the Columbia River? I can't say I'm surprised, as this isn't the first time we've heard about such sightings. It's interesting how this particular boat has a "definite other-worldly look" to it, making it stand out among the other vessels on the river. I wonder what its purpose is and who is behind it. Perhaps it's some sort of secret government project or a new type of technology being tested. Whatever the case may be, it's definitely caught the attention of many people. I guess we'll just have to wait and see if any more information is revealed about this mysterious 'stealth' boat.

1. What is a "stealth" boat?

A "stealth" boat is a type of watercraft designed to evade detection by radar and other detection systems. It is often used for military purposes but can also be used for surveillance or smuggling.

2. Why is this boat plying the Columbia River?

The specific reason for this boat plying the Columbia River is unknown. It could be conducting military exercises, surveillance operations, or testing new technology. It is also possible that the boat is being used for commercial purposes.

3. How does a "stealth" boat avoid detection?

A "stealth" boat typically uses advanced technology and design features to minimize its radar cross-section and infrared signature. This can include special coatings, shape modifications, and noise reduction measures.

4. Is this boat a potential threat to the surrounding area?

Without more information, it is difficult to determine if this specific boat is a threat. However, "stealth" boats are generally designed for covert operations and are not meant to be aggressive or dangerous to the surrounding area.

5. Are there any regulations or restrictions for using a "stealth" boat?

There are no specific regulations or restrictions for using a "stealth" boat, as it depends on the purpose and location of the boat. In general, any watercraft must follow local laws and regulations for safe operation and navigation.