Solve the Mystery of the Alarm Signal: Duncan's Story

In summary, Duncan believes that the beeping noise is a synchronising signal from a radio-controlled clock or something similar, and it is causing devices in the bedroom to turn on.
jedishrfu said:
I think the video would be too long if he used one mic at a time with a cone. :-)
The guy in the video seems to be an audio engineer who has lots of mics laying around. I was looking for a practical solution that the OP could apply.

Physics news on Phys.org
He said in the video he went to the store to get these mikes.

You could probably do the same thing with two mikes and narrow things down in a binary search sort of scheme.

A.T. said:
That's great, but uses a lot of equipment.

I wonder if one could use some simple listening cone and point it in different directions, to estimate the source direction based on the volume changes.
jedishrfu said:
He said in the video he went to the store to get these mikes.

You could probably do the same thing with two mikes and narrow things down in a binary search sort of scheme.
I tried and you can get to the right room (or maybe better) with a cell phone and a sound level app...if it is in a room. If it is in an above/below crawl space it may be more difficult to localize.

It's probably also possible to rig up a shotgun mic or mess with the microphone channels to make it directional.

I was actually hoping he was going to go a little more advanced than just "which is louder" and do a passive sonar scheme to localize it.

Likes jedishrfu