How to Determine the Percent Mass of a Mystery Alkali Carbonate in a Reaction?

• Thread starter gaylateacher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of identifying the percent mass of an unknown alkali carbonate reactant when reacting it with sulfuric acid. It is suggested to use titration with phenolphthalein or weighing the sample before and after reaction to determine the percentage. It is also mentioned that the carbonate can be identified by heating it in an oven and measuring the weight loss. The conversation concludes by acknowledging that the person is not a chemist and apologizing for any potential mistakes in their suggestions.
gaylateacher
undefinedundefinedundefined
I have a mystery alkali carbonate. I need to react it with sulfuric acid. When this occurs I know the products are carbon dioxide, water, ions of the mystery metal in solution and ions of sulfate in the solution. My question is how do I find the percent mass of the carbonate in the reactant if I cannot capture and measure the volume of the carbon dioxide product? I know I need to identify the alkali metal but I do not know how? Any suggestions?
gaylateacher

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think you are not doing the correct thing, first you don't know what metal you are using, and second, you are trying to find carbonate percentage in the sample. However, you may do it titrimetrically, by starting with phenolphthalein (and preferably, a known amount of standardized base added) and ceasing the titration whenever the purple color disappears; of course titration approach needs multiple tries to reach more precise results.

Then you may try calculating the metal percentage from the sample weight. This may give you an idea.

Could you not weight before and after reaction?
The difference should be the CO2.

You did not mention if your carbonate is pure.
Assuming it is, then it should be easy to identify the metal.
(assuming complete decomposition)

Another way I could imagine is without sulfuric acid, by putting the alkali carbonate in a oven at high temperature. Weight loss by decarbonatation should give you the result.

I am not a chemist, sorry if I am telling you stupid things.

1. What is mystery alkali carbonate?

Mystery alkali carbonate is a type of chemical compound that contains both alkali metal and carbonate ions. It is often used in industrial processes and can also be found naturally in some minerals.

2. How is it different from other carbonates?

The mystery alkali carbonate has a unique combination of alkali metal and carbonate ions, which gives it different properties and reactivity compared to other carbonates. It also has a different chemical formula, depending on the specific alkali metal present.

3. What are the uses of mystery alkali carbonate?

Mystery alkali carbonate has various industrial uses, such as in the production of glass, soaps, and detergents. It is also used in water treatment processes and as a buffering agent in pharmaceuticals. In nature, it can be found in certain mineral deposits and is an essential nutrient for plant growth.

4. Is it safe to handle and use?

Like any chemical compound, mystery alkali carbonate should be handled with caution and according to safety protocols. It is typically considered safe for industrial and commercial use when handled properly. However, it is important to always follow safety guidelines and wear appropriate protective gear.

5. How is mystery alkali carbonate synthesized?

Mystery alkali carbonate can be synthesized through various methods, such as reacting an alkali metal hydroxide with carbon dioxide gas or by reacting an alkali metal oxide with carbon dioxide gas. It can also be produced through natural processes, such as the weathering of minerals containing alkali metals and carbonates.