Mystery Objects: Can You Guess What They Are?

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the conversation is discussing a series of mysterious objects found on a blog. Some of the objects are speculated to be an old typewriter case, a compass or folding t-square, and a cypher device. The purpose of the wooden part of one object is questioned, with suggestions ranging from storage to a spindle for receipts. The discussion also touches on the masks found with one of the objects and their possible purpose. Finally, there is some humorous speculation about the objects being purely for decoration. The conversation ends with a playful comment about the potential meaning behind the numbers 00, 99, 88.
Physics news on Phys.org
570 looks like an old typewriter case, but the dimensions are too small. Perhaps a salesman's sample case?

#228 looks like it could be a compass or folding t-square (or both?). It sure would be easier to fit into a toolbox that way!

Evo, note that the masks also go with #570...and I think that's more the question of what those are about than the case they're in.

471 looiks like part of some cypher device. Like enigma, you know? the German WWII unbreakable code maker? It had wheels inside wheels that changed the code as it was being used, and only another identical machine could unscramble the code? That and British intelligence?

Do you think the wooden part of the first item (436) is just for storage, display?

wolram said:
Do you think the wooden part of the first item (436) is just for storage, display?

When I look at that, I think, "Do not fold, SPINDLE, or mutilate." (Instructions given regarding the answer sheets at the beginning of every standardized exam.) The pointy ends make me think it might be a fancy spindle...an old way of keeping receipts from flying away by stabbing them onto a stick.

Chi Meson said:
471 looiks like part of some cypher device. Like enigma, you know? the German WWII unbreakable code maker? It had wheels inside wheels that changed the code as it was being used, and only another identical machine could unscramble the code? That and British intelligence?

Why would 00, 99, 88, be the same?

Moonbear said:
#228 looks like it could be a compass or folding t-square (or both?). It sure would be easier to fit into a toolbox that way!

Evo, note that the masks also go with #570...and I think that's more the question of what those are about than the case they're in.
Oh, well, they're molds, but what final use I can't imagine.

1) Decoration
2) Decoration
3) A bench hammer
4) Decoration
5) Decoration
6) Decoration
7) Decoration
8) Decoration
9) Decoration
10) Decoration
11) Decoration
12) Decoration
13) Decoration
14) Decoration
15) Decoration

Math Jeans said:
1) Decoration
2) Decoration
3) A bench hammer
4) Decoration
5) Decoration
6) Decoration
7) Decoration
8) Decoration
9) Decoration
10) Decoration
11) Decoration
12) Decoration
13) Decoration
14) Decoration
15) Decoration
:rofl: :rofl:

wolram said:
Why would 00, 99, 88, be the same?

That's what they want you to think!

1. What is the purpose of a mystery object?

The purpose of a mystery object is to challenge individuals to use their observation and critical thinking skills to identify the object and its purpose.

2. How are mystery objects chosen?

Mystery objects can be chosen based on their uniqueness, cultural significance, or historical significance. They can also be chosen randomly or based on a specific theme or category.

3. What are some tips for guessing the identity of a mystery object?

Some tips for guessing the identity of a mystery object include examining its size, shape, texture, and any distinguishing features. It can also be helpful to research similar objects or ask for clues or context.

4. Can a mystery object have multiple possible identities?

Yes, a mystery object can have multiple possible identities. This is part of the challenge and encourages individuals to think creatively and consider multiple perspectives.

5. Are there any benefits to participating in mystery object activities?

Yes, participating in mystery object activities can improve observation and critical thinking skills, promote teamwork and communication, and increase cultural and historical awareness.