Mystery of Candle Wax: Solving the Liquid to Solid Transition

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of transparent liquids turning opaque when solidified, using wine and cooking oil as examples. It is suggested that this is due to molecular reorganization and repeated diffraction and scattering, leading to reflection. The role of carbon chains in wax and lipids is also mentioned as a possible factor. The individual does not have an answer but commends the idea of freezing cooking oil as a scientific approach.
hooli
I was having a glass of wine over candlelight and I noticed that the liquid wax was completely transparent but turned opaque when when the wax solidified. Why does this happen? Clearly, when the molecules reorganize during the freezing phase transition they begin to interact with the light.

I know this can also happen with water but I not sure it's for the same reason, because the most organized ice is clear. Only when the crystalline structure is disturbed (the ice is fractured, aerated, etc.) does the solid water become opaque. So it seems that the transparent liquid to opaque solid transition in water is due to repeated diffraction and scattering, leading to reflection. Is this the same reason it happens in wax? If so, what molecular changes bring this about?

Physics news on Phys.org
I just froze some cooking oil (sesame seed) and found the same phenomenon occurred which leads me to think it has something to do with the aliphatic chains in wax and lipids. Any thoughts how a substance could be either transparent of opaque depending on the organization of carbon chains?

All thoughts and speculations welcome

I don't have an answer for you, but am posting to say that freezing the cooking oil was an inspired idea and the mark of a scientist!

1. What causes candle wax to change from a liquid to a solid state?

Candle wax is made up of long-chain hydrocarbons, which are molecules that contain carbon and hydrogen atoms. When a candle is lit, the heat from the flame melts the solid wax, turning it into a liquid. As the wax is heated, the molecules gain enough energy to break their bonds and move freely. When the flame is extinguished, the wax cools and the molecules lose energy, causing them to slow down and form a solid state once again.

2. Why do some candles produce more liquid wax than others?

The amount of liquid wax produced by a candle depends on several factors, including the type of wax used, the size and shape of the candle, and the burning conditions. Paraffin wax, for example, tends to produce more liquid wax than beeswax due to its lower melting point. A larger or wider candle will also produce more liquid wax as there is more surface area for the wax to melt. Additionally, drafts or air flow can cause uneven burning and lead to more liquid wax being produced.

3. Can the temperature of the room affect the liquid to solid transition of candle wax?

Yes, the temperature of the room can affect how quickly or slowly candle wax transitions from a liquid to a solid. In warmer rooms, the wax will have a lower melting point and may remain in a liquid state for longer. In colder rooms, the wax will solidify more quickly. This is why candles may burn faster or slower depending on the temperature of the room.

4. Is the liquid to solid transition of candle wax reversible?

Yes, the liquid to solid transition of candle wax is reversible. As mentioned earlier, when a candle is lit, the heat from the flame causes the wax to melt and become a liquid. When the flame is extinguished, the wax cools and solidifies once again. This process can be repeated as many times as desired.

5. How can I slow down the liquid to solid transition of candle wax?

There are a few ways to slow down the liquid to solid transition of candle wax. One method is to trim the wick to 1/4 inch before lighting the candle. This will create a smaller flame and produce less heat, resulting in a slower melting of the wax. Keeping the candle away from drafts or air flow can also help to prevent uneven burning and slow down the transition. Lastly, placing the candle in a cooler room can help prolong the solid state of the wax.