1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mystery (?) operator

1. Apr 22, 2008 #1

Mentz114

Gold Member

Has anyone come across this operator ?

[tex]\frac{\partial^2}{\partial_x\partial_y} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial_x\partial_z} + \frac{\partial^2}{\partial_z\partial_y}[/tex]

I've never seen it until it came up in a field theory context. What can it mean ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 22, 2008 #2
    Hm, I've never seen it used in any context before. Where did you see it, maybe it's interesting to me, as well.:smile:

4. Apr 22, 2008 #3
    I was just fiddling around a bit and I noticed that the operator above equals

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \left ( \begin{bmatrix}
    0 &1 &1\\
    1 &0 &1\\
    1 &1 &0
    \end{bmatrix} \nabla \right ) \cdot \nabla[/tex]

which kind of reminds me of the scalar triple product

[tex]\frac{1}{2} \nabla \cdot \left ( \begin{bmatrix} 1\\ 1\\ 1\end{bmatrix} \times \nabla \right )[/tex]

5. Apr 23, 2008 #4

Mentz114

Gold Member

The operator is half the divergence of a 3D symmetric curl,

[tex]\nabla^{i} \cdot ( s_{ijk}\partial^{j}A^{k})[/tex].

where s is a symmetric permutation operator, which is like the Levi-Civita symbol, but with positive value where the L-C has a negative.( I can't write this in vector notation just now)

I'm not sure it has any physical interpretation. Given that the divergence of the usual curl is identically zero, I thought this thing might mean something.

foxjwill, you are right, I noticed also what you say. I haven't come across that weird matrix in other context.

M

Last edited: Apr 23, 2008
  6. Apr 23, 2008 #5

Mentz114

Gold Member

foxjwill,

I've realized that this

[tex] \frac{1}{2} \left ( \begin{bmatrix}0 &1 &1\\1 &0 &1\\1 &1 &0\end{bmatrix} \nabla \right )[/tex]

is another way to write the symmetric curl.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?