Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Mystery phone gadget

1. Dec 2, 2014 #1

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Does anyone happen to recognize the phone or pc accessory displayed in the attached pics? It looks like a mini domed-camera or a glass bead, tethered to a cord. On its flat side there's a peel-off sticker, like a piece of two-sided tape, to mount the thing on a flat surface. The cord plugs into an iphone's earphone port, but I don't know what it does, if anything. Thanks for any & all responses.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    P.S. Yes, I am alive. Glad you are, too, old timers :)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 2, 2014 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

telephone handset pickup mic to record phone conversations.

4. Dec 3, 2014 #3
    How would you mount that though? Stick it to the back of the phone?

5. Dec 3, 2014 #4

rcgldr

Homework Helper

Decades ago, a device like that could be also be stuck on a specific spot on an acoustic modem that didn't have a speaker, in order to be able to hear the modem sounds.

6. Dec 3, 2014 #5

russ_watters

Are you sure it is a PC/phone accessory? Looks like a temperature sensor to me. It's a bad pic, so I don't see if it has a hole in it (without one would preclude it from being a mic).

61aGThS0vwL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited: Dec 3, 2014
  7. Dec 3, 2014 #6

collinsmark

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The OP picture looks to have what looks like a 1/8 inch stereo plug. The fact that it's stereo is evidence that it might be an audio device, such as some sort of microphone, as others have suggested (even if it is effectively a mono source, it might have a stereo plug to be compatible with stereo, audio jacks).

You might be able to test this out with your computer's Mic-in or Audio-in jacks. Plug it in, enable the input (this might require opening up your computer's sound control and choosing what to use for audio input*), speak or blow into the thing and see if you get a signal.

*(For MS Windows, this is usually something like Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Sound, then select your default recording device.)

8. Dec 6, 2014 #7

rbelli1

Gold Member

9. Dec 6, 2014 #8

jedishrfu

You know I saw that before but I couldn't recall where and then the audio jack kept me thinking old phone mic.

That make sense now. Good catch.

10. Dec 7, 2014 #9
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook