Mystery Phone Gadget - Can You Identify It?

• Thread starter EnumaElish
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, this device looks like a miniature camera or a glass bead, mounted on a cord, with a sticker on one side that allows it to be attached to a flat surface. It has an iPhone's earphone port plugged into it, but the device's purpose is unknown.
EnumaElish
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Does anyone happen to recognize the phone or pc accessory displayed in the attached pics? It looks like a mini domed-camera or a glass bead, tethered to a cord. On its flat side there's a peel-off sticker, like a piece of two-sided tape, to mount the thing on a flat surface. The cord plugs into an iphone's earphone port, but I don't know what it does, if anything. Thanks for any & all responses.
image.jpg

image.jpg

P.S. Yes, I am alive. Glad you are, too, old timers :)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Computer science news on Phys.org
telephone handset pickup mic to record phone conversations.

jedishrfu said:
telephone handset pickup mic to record phone conversations.
How would you mount that though? Stick it to the back of the phone?

Decades ago, a device like that could be also be stuck on a specific spot on an acoustic modem that didn't have a speaker, in order to be able to hear the modem sounds.

Are you sure it is a PC/phone accessory? Looks like a temperature sensor to me. It's a bad pic, so I don't see if it has a hole in it (without one would preclude it from being a mic).

61aGThS0vwL._SL1200_.jpg

Last edited:
The OP picture looks to have what looks like a 1/8 inch stereo plug. The fact that it's stereo is evidence that it might be an audio device, such as some sort of microphone, as others have suggested (even if it is effectively a mono source, it might have a stereo plug to be compatible with stereo, audio jacks).

You might be able to test this out with your computer's Mic-in or Audio-in jacks. Plug it in, enable the input (this might require opening up your computer's sound control and choosing what to use for audio input*), speak or blow into the thing and see if you get a signal.

*(For MS Windows, this is usually something like Control Panel / Hardware and Sound / Sound, then select your default recording device.)

Likes EnumaElish
You know I saw that before but I couldn't recall where and then the audio jack kept me thinking old phone mic.

That make sense now. Good catch.

What is the Mystery Phone Gadget?

The Mystery Phone Gadget is a device that is designed to be attached to a smartphone or tablet to provide additional features and functionality.

How does the Mystery Phone Gadget work?

The Mystery Phone Gadget works by connecting to the smartphone or tablet via Bluetooth or a wired connection. It then uses its own software and hardware to interact with the device and provide its unique features.

What features does the Mystery Phone Gadget offer?

The features of the Mystery Phone Gadget vary depending on the specific product. However, some common features may include extended battery life, additional storage space, enhanced camera capabilities, or specialized sensors for tracking health or fitness.

Can the Mystery Phone Gadget be used with any smartphone or tablet?

Not all Mystery Phone Gadgets are compatible with every smartphone or tablet. It is important to check the product specifications to ensure compatibility before purchasing.

Is the Mystery Phone Gadget worth the investment?

The value of the Mystery Phone Gadget depends on the individual's needs and preferences. Some users may find the added features and convenience to be worth the investment, while others may not see the value. It is recommended to do research and read reviews before making a purchase decision.

Back