What is this mysterious piece of equipment found in my store room?

In summary, the conversation discusses an unknown object found in a store room and speculates that it may be a scattering demonstration apparatus. The conversation also mentions the possibility of winning a prize for correctly guessing the object's purpose. Additional details about the object's design and materials are shared, including similarities to a scattering apparatus used in a student lab.
jfmcghee
I just found this in my store room. Anybody have any ideas what it is?

20200817_130355.jpg 20200817_130409.jpg

Science news on Phys.org
No. But my guess is some kind of scattering demo? You squirt something from the tube to the (spinning?) wheel and see where it goes as you move the nozzle side to side.

What do we win if we guess right. Kewpie dolls, or cash?

jfmcghee said:
I just found this in my store room. Anybody have any ideas what it is?

Other than the manufacturer sticker 'Welch", I don't see any information. What's on the bottom side of the base plate?

It's just flat particle board. The only thing that seems to move is the little tube along a spring loaded screw. The center seems to be just an immobile piece of glass.

Reminds me of a scattering apparatus in a student lab which I tutored. There was an adjustable mechanism which shot small metal balls onto the central target. On the rim there was a special paper which acquired black dots upon impact which made angle measurements possible. The angle measurements were then used to infer information about the target.

1. What is the purpose of this mysterious piece of equipment?

The purpose of the equipment may vary depending on its type and function. It could be used for measuring, testing, or processing materials. It is important to refer to the manufacturer's manual or seek guidance from an expert to determine the specific purpose of the equipment.

2. How does this equipment work?

The way the equipment works also depends on its type and function. Some may use electricity or other power sources, while others may be manual. Again, it is crucial to consult the manufacturer's manual or an expert for proper instructions on how to operate the equipment.

3. Is this equipment still functional?

Without proper inspection and testing, it is difficult to determine if the equipment is still functional. Age, maintenance, and previous usage can affect its functionality. It is best to have the equipment checked by a professional to ensure it is in good working condition.

4. Can this equipment be repaired if it is not working?

The possibility of repairing the equipment depends on the extent of damage and availability of replacement parts. Some equipment may be repairable, while others may need to be replaced entirely. It is recommended to consult a professional for an accurate assessment.

5. Can I use this equipment for a different purpose than its intended use?

It is not advisable to use the equipment for a purpose other than its intended use. Doing so may cause damage to the equipment and possibly compromise safety. It is essential to follow the manufacturer's guidelines and only use the equipment for its designated purpose.