Mystery Spot illusion explanation

In summary: It was missing a few planets, but otherwise it was the same. Wow, that's an old picture! Still has pluto on it... :wink:and its missing Venus, Uranus and Neptune.plus the Moon isn't even on it.I remember playing with one of those. My uncle had one. It was missing a few planets, but otherwise it was the same.
jobyts
http://www.mysteryspot.com/

How do you explain what you experience there?

I understand it's all optical illusion. I can explain - people walking on the wall, pendulum swinging at an angle - is just a slant-walled house.

The thing I could not explain is the relative height difference they demonstrate. The ask 2 people of different height to stand on a beam. Then they swap their position - the taller guy looks shorter and vice versa. The beam is not inclined - they prove it with a spirit level.

Also, they show a rubber ball rolling upwards in a wooden rail. With a spirit level, they show the wooden rail is not slanted.

Physics news on Phys.org
jobyts said:
http://www.mysteryspot.com/

How do you explain what you experience there?

I understand it's all optical illusion. I can explain - people walking on the wall, pendulum swinging at an angle - is just a slant-walled house.

The thing I could not explain is the relative height difference they demonstrate. The ask 2 people of different height to stand on a beam. Then they swap their position - the taller guy looks shorter and vice versa. The beam is not inclined - they prove it with a spirit level.

Also, they show a rubber ball rolling upwards in a wooden rail. With a spirit level, they show the wooden rail is not slanted.

The house is slanted.

Last edited by a moderator:
CEL said:
The house is slanted.

I understand the house is slanted and it explains most of the stuff. But they put a spirit level on the beam and the bubble is exactly in the middle.

jobyts said:
I understand the house is slanted and it explains most of the stuff. But they put a spirit level on the beam and the bubble is exactly in the middle.

Probably the beam is level, but the groove where the ball runs is slightly slanted.

It is possible to make an object appear to roll uphill if the track the object, such as a ball, changes in width. There was/is an old kids toy from many years ago that used this principle.

There are two metals rods, equal in length and thickness. They are each attached to a separate hinge or axle, so that the far end, the rods can be moved further apart. The pair of rods are inclined slightly, so that the free ends are lower then the fixed ends. The object of the game was to control the free ends to allow a steel ball to "roll" uphill before falling. The further uphill, the more points.

How it works is that even the object appears to go uphill, the center of gravity is falling as the width of the rods increase.

I think it was called Shoot the Moon, and my parents still have it at their place. I will see if I can find when I am there next, though may be some time.

Found a picture:
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3926/314tfkn5bklss400.jpg [Broken]

Insanity said:
Found a picture:
http://img189.imageshack.us/img189/3926/314tfkn5bklss400.jpg [Broken]

Wow, that's an old picture! Still has pluto on it... :wink:

and its missing Venus, Uranus and Neptune.
plus the Moon isn't even on it.

I remember playing with one of those. My uncle had one.

What is the Mystery Spot illusion?

The Mystery Spot illusion is a phenomenon where objects appear to defy the laws of gravity and physics in a specific area or location. This creates a sense of disorientation and confusion for the viewer.

How does the Mystery Spot illusion work?

The Mystery Spot illusion is created through a combination of optical illusions and the layout of the physical environment. The specific design of the space and the placement of objects can create a distorted perception of size, shape, and orientation, leading to the illusion of objects defying gravity.

Can the Mystery Spot illusion be explained scientifically?

Yes, the Mystery Spot illusion can be explained through scientific principles and concepts such as perspective, depth perception, and visual cues. Researchers have studied and analyzed the phenomenon to better understand its mechanisms and provide a scientific explanation.

Why do people experience a sense of disorientation and dizziness in the Mystery Spot?

The disorientation and dizziness experienced in the Mystery Spot is a result of the brain attempting to make sense of conflicting visual information. The distorted perception of the environment can cause the brain to struggle in accurately processing and interpreting the visual cues, leading to a sense of confusion and disorientation.

Can the Mystery Spot illusion be recreated in other locations?

Yes, the Mystery Spot illusion can be recreated in other locations by replicating the specific design and layout of the original location. However, the illusion may not be as strong in other locations due to differences in lighting, angles, and other environmental factors.