Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Myth Busters - Should I lick or use a glue stick?

1. Mar 19, 2005 #1

SOS2008

Gold Member

A friend just emailed this to me. I've heard of the insect egg story before, but the other stories I haven't heard before:

First, the story about the insect eggs was a different insect (not about cockroaches, but can't remember what), and I know crickets like to eat glue, but don't know about roaches. Aside from this, it would seem to me that since glue is meant to be licked (e.g., some manufacturers try to make the glue not taste so yucky) I would think this would be regulated (by the FDA?) in some way. Anyone heard other versions too, or know about any regulations?

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 19, 2005 #2
    Remember "Seinfeld" episode when George Costanzas fiance was sending wedding invitations and she was licking about one hundred cheap envelopes that George bought? Ofcourse she died and George was kind of happy. :eek:

4. Mar 19, 2005 #3

Janitor

Science Advisor

The current issue of Trains magazine has a photo of a place where they load wheat onto railroad hopper cars. Due to a car shortage, tons of grain are lying on bare grassy ground. I visualize a front end loader coming by later on when hoppers are available and scooping up the wheat, with the operator trying his best to get all the grain but not too much grass and soil. Bird droppings and rodents would not be something he could avoid scooping up, though.

:eek:

5. Mar 19, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

I remember that seinfeld episode lol. great stuff! I dont think theres houdl be a huge comotion over possibility of rat crap getting into your food. I mean really, whatever industry it is (or well, most of em), its more sanitary then 60 or 70 or 100 years ago and not many people are dieing of rat poisoning... but then again who knows, maybe it all adds up to a shorter life.

6. Mar 19, 2005 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Um, you realize that when it was growing out in the field, bugs and birds were landing and defecating on the plants too, don't you? LOL! City slickers, worried about a bit of bug poop! :biggrin:

7. Mar 19, 2005 #6
    I have worked in a large peanutbutter factory,and we have been infested with coackroaches amd mice,they were everywhere.(no wonder people are alergic to the peanutbutter or rather to eating cokroaches and mice)
    Over the building I have seen everyday dozens of hawks and other preybirds who were hunting for mice near our warehouse.

8. Mar 19, 2005 #7

SOS2008

Gold Member

Oh, I remember that episode now...too funny!
    You just reminded me of dirt theory, in which I would argue that it is good for your immunity to be exposed to germs (bug poop?) :rofl: ; otherwise you would have to live in a bubble. It's true, there are traces of all kinds of things in everything we consume.

I once watched a program about people who eat dirt (e.g., they would sprinkle it on salad) in order to get minerals naturally--of course it was enriched (high mineral) and cleaned dirt--they weren't just going out and digging it up from their yards. Eeeew gritty salad--I hate it when I get sand in my food--I'd rather take a vitamin!

9. Mar 19, 2005 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Has anyone ever read The Jungle?

free online: http://www.online-literature.com/upton_sinclair/jungle/

Edit: note the life and death part. Gotta love them burgers! Mmmmmm.

10. Mar 19, 2005 #9

Janitor

Science Advisor

I had a history teacher who liked to gross us out. He told us about federal standards on how many insect parts are allowed per pound of peanut butter. :uhh:

11. Mar 19, 2005 #10

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

They just help add flavor. Now you know what it means when a label reads "natural flavors." :tongue2:

12. Mar 19, 2005 #11
    Cockroaches,mice = protein. :tongue2:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  13. Mar 19, 2005 #12
    lol fear factor PF style!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?